Location: Humla, Dolpa, Mugu,Jumla, Rukum - West, Jajarkot, Kalikot, Dailekh/Surkhet, Salyan/Dang, and Banke/Bardiya and Social Development Ministry of Province 5 in Butwal
Supervisor: Deputy Team Leader cum Community Engagement Specialist
Period of Performance: September 2018 – September 2022 – (annual contract with renewal based on staff performance and funding availability)
Key Responsibilities and Activities
Technical Assistance and Capacity Building
- Provide support to district and municipal level policymakers on strategic planning, resource allocation, budget execution and monitoring, human resource planning and management and other health systems issues as required
- Provide technical support to prepare municipal level health profile, inclusive of stakeholder analyses (working in the district/palika)
- Provide technical, logistical and other administrative support and capacity building to selected municipalities to prepare their Annual Workplans and Budgets, based on review of health and other socio-demographic information and by utilizing tools and guidelines prepared by MOFAGA and MOHP.
- Support selected municipalities to enter the workplan and budget in electronic Workplan and Budget System (eAWPB) and to build their capacity to monitor their expenditure through Transactional Accounting and Budget Control System (TABUCS) and/or other systems used by Municipalities (e.g. SuTRA).
- Undertake activities in support of enhanced governance, accountability and citizen engagement with the health service delivery system and health authorities.
- Support municipal health authorities to use innovative training/capacity building techniques and train them on these techniques
- Participate in/moderate/facilitate (initially) municipal level periodic and annual reviews and planning meetings; help to establish a system for annual/periodic review, promoting best practice in the use of evidence to monitor progress and performance, identify gaps and design feasible solutions to address gaps in service coverage and health systems performance.
- Provide technical support to strengthen effective functioning of selected Health Facility Operation and Management Committees
Program Management Support
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of required technical reports and deliverables, including lessons learned, for the health systems strengthening component in assigned geographical area.
- Assist with the planning of project meetings, training sessions and consultations, collecting additional information from Municipalities, health facilities, local level health offices etc as needed and assigned.
- Make logistical arrangements for project team travelling to their assigned municipalities, as needed.
- Graduate Degree in Public Health, Health Administration, or other relevant field with substantial experience.
- At least six years of related professional experience, with technical knowledge and understanding of health systems.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement capacity building interventions, using a variety of methods.
- Ability to build positive working relationships, characterized by mutual respect and professional courtesy, with counterparts and program beneficiaries across cultural, linguistic and geographic boundaries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary team; manage multiple tasks concurrently; meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Understanding of Government of Nepal’s planning and budgeting process, including in context of federalism and previous experience in supporting preparation of annual work plan and budget for District Health Offices and/or Municipalities.
- Ability to work/travel in remote areas of assigned districts within short notice; strong professional those who are from and/or working in the Karnali Province will be given preference.
- Strong networking and computer proficiency skills
- Excellent written/oral skills in Nepali and English
- Strong leadership skill and ability to transfer this skill to others.