Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Based: Kathmandu with possible travel to field locations
Duration: Up to 12 June, 2017
The Stakeholder Liaison will support the delivery of Reconstruction Radio programming by engaging with government agencies, technical experts, civil society organizations, and the media to ensure complementarity, coordination as well as efficiency and effectiveness. Using high quality communication as the medium the post holder will identify information gaps, share information priorities, and feedback to the team on critical needs directly from those involved in the reconstruction effort.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key government agencies, I/NGO, civil society groups, development partners, research organizations, and local contacts in affected areas to ensure that the radio content is coordinated fully.
- Attend Communication with Communities and various working group meetings to gather information on reconstruction priorities.
- Ensure that the BBC Media Action team has up-to-date, relevant information on the developing reconstruction context and responses from other agencies and link Radio Producers to relevant contacts.
- Share relevant findings of BBC Media Action research and audience feedback with external parties.
- Cultivate a network of Nepali-speaking reconstructions experts to be able to feed into radio programming content.
- Liaise with media partners operating throughout Nepal.
- Provide communication advisory assistance to partner organizations if and when requested.
- Hold stakeholder meetings, when require prepare for this.
- Support internal and external communication including through social media.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Project Manager.
Essential skills and experience
- Substantial experience of managing relationships and coordinating with reconstruction organisations, government representatives, civil society groups, and/or media partners.
- Experience of working in multicultural professional environments
- Adaptable to changing circumstances and organisational needs
- High analytical skills and able to represent the views and values of BBC Media Action
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience working on communications in disaster-response, feeding up-to-date information from the ground into response programming
- Experience managing relationships with aid agencies, government bodies, media and other relevant stakeholders
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements
- Self-Development: Able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV and covering letter outlining your interest in the role, and demonstrating how you fulfil the essential skills and experience, by June 24, 2016 to email@example.com (with job title in the subject line).