SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong experience in qualitative and quantitative market/social research.
- Experience using qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
- Strong IT skills, including Excel and PowerPoint, and experience with data analysis software packages such as SPSS or Atlas.
- Strong written and spoken English and Nepali.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills, communicating complex technical ideas using non-technical language to a wide range of audiences from journalists, production staff and development practitioners.
- Ability to plan and conduct work with minimal supervision.
- Track record of delivering research findings to deadline.
Desirable, but not required:
- Familiarity with commissioning and/or conducting research in developing countries.
- Familiarity with media communications research approaches and methodologies (advertising and/or brands and/or marketing).
- Experience of and/or interest in research on international and development issues.
- Experience of working with media professionals in production-oriented teams.
- Strategic Thinking – Can identify a vision along with the plans that need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Imagination / Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.