Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Based: Kathmandu with possible travel to field locations
Duration: 8 months (with the possibility of extension subject to funding)
BBC Media Action Nepal is seeking potential applicants for the position of Project Manager to work full time on a project focused its Resilience and Disaster Risk Management portfolio.
“The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.”
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Project Manager will be responsible for overall planning, management, implementation, and delivery of the project. The postholder will be responsible for ensuring that the project delivers on time, on budget and to high quality standards. The postholder will also build relationship with partners and donors and lead the development of a comprehensive two-way communication framework and strategy for project delivery. S/he will have overall budget management and reporting responsibility for all project activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with project partners and key stakeholders to ensure that the activities of the overall project are in line with BBC editorial standards and values.
- Provide support to the Senior Management Team (SMT) in ensuring that key thematic issues such as Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) are reflected throughout project deliverables and outputs.
- Manage members of the project team and build project capacity and support staff development in production and other editorial processes.
- Participate in project design, monitoring and evaluation, and conduct regular feedback sessions, adjusting project delivery, as necessary.
- Lead on the reporting of progress, both internally and externally to partners, the donor, and other interested parties.
- Liaise with other BBC and BBC Media Action country teams particularly on policy and thematic, research and learning and finance, to coordinate their support for project delivery.
- Support research team in analysing research data and findings as required to support project planning and development.
- Work closely with research colleagues and ensure that research findings are incorporated into project design and implementation as well as disseminate the analysis of key findings and insights.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key government agencies, civil society groups, development partners, media partners and any other external stakeholders as per the project need and requirement.
- Work together with the Advisor, Policy and Research teams in developing a strategic communication and dissemination strategy, framework, tools, and contents and oversee its successful implementation
- Monitor and report on the progress of the communications strategy and framework and update it according to the project needs.
- Ensure that the BBC Media Action team has up-to-date, relevant information to develop communication channels as required by the project.
- Provide capacity building support such as orientation, training and mentoring to partners and other key stakeholders on outreach and communication.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and policy development across the organisation.
- Support the CD and other SMT members in the delivery of relevant training to all staff and freelancers contracted directly by the office.
- Factor safeguarding issues into project design and include costs within budgets.
- Ensure that relevant safeguarding due diligence is conducted with any local partner organisations that may be working with vulnerable adults or children as part of the project. Where any risks are identified, ensure that projects are designed to mitigate these risks.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
Essential skills and experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressive experience ideally in project management combined with media and communication experience in the development field.
- Sound understanding of the socio-political and governance environment in Nepal.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and guide communications teams/partners, and to manage and build the capacity of local communications partners.
- Demonstrable understanding and commitment to international development, including the use of media for developmental goals.
- Significant experience in the effective management of diverse teams, including personnel development and capability management.
- Strong financial management skills, with proven experience managing large budgets, including accurate and timely reporting to donors.
- Confident public speaker with experience of presentations to colleagues, donors, and stakeholders.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience working on communications in disaster-response, feeding up-to-date information from the ground into response programming.
- Experience managing relationships with aid agencies, government bodies, media, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Proven ability to develop and secure new business, including ability to develop design projects and new business ideas and present these persuasively to potential partners and funders, and write successful proposals.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Leadership: Ability to inspire others to realise an identified vision.
- Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
- Strategic Thinking: Can identify a vision along with the plans that need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Problem Solving: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for decision making and problem-solving. Transforms proposals/ideas into practical reality.
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Resilience: Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV and Covering Letter outlining your interest in the role, and demonstrating how you fulfil the essential skills and experience, by 15th July 2020 to [email protected] (with job title in the subject line).