The Oda Foundation, in tandem with local leaders, private partners and government support, develops integrative community development solutions for some of Nepal's most geographically isolated communities. Headquartered in the district of Kalikot, the foundation has concentrated healthcare and education initiatives while providing additional community needs as they are identified.
Primary School Teacher
Position Type: Volunteer - Room & Board + Travel Costs Provided
Duration: 2076 School year
Room and board will be provided on the Oda Foundation campus, however most work responsibilities will take place at the campus of a nearby government school. The Oda Foundation has a co-management agreement with one local government school where this vacancy, along with the Oda Foundation 8-person Education team will be placed.
Your responsibility as a Volunteer Primary School Teacher will be to use your preexisting skills and experience to fill the gaps in the school’s teaching needs. Throughout your interview process, specific subjects and grade levels will be discussed and, should you be a viable candidate, your ideal teaching placement will be sorted out.
Key responsibilities include:
- Creating and implementing lesson plans
- Communicating with government school staff, Oda Foundation staff, community leaders, and parents of students
- Ensuring the safety of all children that you are engaging with
- Participating in daily school staff meetings
- Teaching Math and Science curriculum to students up to grade 10
Care and Compassion:
- We will demonstrate our compassion and caring through our action and words
- We will take time to ensure each person feels listened to, secure, understood and is treated compassionately
- We will be approachable and contribute to creating a calm and friendly atmosphere
- We will provide a safe and caring setting for patients and staff, and an efficient, effective experience
- We will meet people's needs for information and involvement
- We will be considerate, calm and proactive in solving problems.
- We will not be aggressive or passive aggressive to anyone.
Respect, Dignity & Justice:
- We will demonstrate respect for all staff through our words and actions.
- We will all follow Oda rules, policies, and procedures.
- We will accept fair and equitable punishment for all.
- We will be polite and courteous in our communications and actions
- We will demonstrate respect for dignity, choice, privacy and confidentiality
- We will recognize and value uniqueness, diversity and different cultures.
- We will be sincere, honest and constructive in giving, and open to receiving, feedback
- We maintain a professional attitude and appearance.
- We will demonstrate a commitment to doing our best
- We will be responsible and reflect on our actions
- We will be accountable for our actions
- We will focus on our work and practice time management by meeting all proposed deadlines.
- We will encourage and explore ideas for improvement, innovation and creativity.
- We will seek out opportunities to enhance our skills and expertise
- We will work together to achieve high quality services
- We will use our knowledge and enthusiasm to implement positive change and overcome challenges
- We will be proactive in nature
Teamwork & Communication:
- We will understand and value each other's role and contribution
- We will be fair, thoughtful, welcoming and kind to colleagues, fellows and guests.
- We will communicate with each other and express our successes and our concerns.
- We will offer support and encouragement to others
- We will maximize each other's potential and contribution through shared learning and development
- We will recognize, share and celebrate our successes, big and small
- We will practice coordination and collaboration interdepartmentally
- We will have a positive outlook and motivation
- We will demonstrate commitment to the Oda foundation, patients, staff and our guests.
Openness, Honesty and Responsibility:
- We will build trust by displaying transparency and doing what we say we will do
- We will commit to doing what is right – even when challenged
- We will welcome feedback as a means of informing improvements
- We will use our resources and each other's time efficiently and wisely
- We will maintain and enhance public confidence in our service
- We will be a positive role model