NGO / INGO / Social work
|No. of Vacancy/s:
||[ 1 ]
||Dec. 13, 2021, 11:55 p.m. (1 week, 6 days from now)
Post Title : National Communication Officer
Duty Station : UNESCO Office, Kathmandu, Nepal
Type of contract : Service Contract
Grade/Level : NOA (584 Band B Step 1)
Duration of contract : 12 months
Application Deadline midnight, local time) : 13 December 2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity Professionalism
TERMS OF REFERENCE
UNESCO is seeking a qualified and highly-motivated professional to serve as a National Communication Officer (NOA) for its Office in Nepal. The assignment will be based in UNESCO Kathmandu Office.
Overall duties and responsibilities:
Under the authority and direct supervision of the UNESCO Head of Office, the Communications Officer will provide support to the UNESCO programme in Nepal through the elaboration of a guiding communication strategy and the application of effective communications products and materials.
- In this regard, the successful candidate will:
- Develop an office communication strategy and action/work plan
- Identify the key messages and content of the programmes, projects and activities of the Organization to promote relevant information and stories in Nepal through traditional and social media:
- In close collaboration with the Department of Public Information at UNESCO Headquarters, maintain the office website page and the social media accounts with timely relevant and well-presented information
- Monitor the public perception of UNESCO in the country and recommend appropriate action to maintain the Organization's positive image
- Develop and maintain close collaboration with journalists and media professionals in Nepal, as well as with groups and organizations such as the UNESCO Clubs and Associations whose support is essential to the achievement of UNESCO's advocacy and communication objectives
- Coordinate media liaison, including sending information, responding to media inquiries, identifying article and interview opportunities for UNESCO .
- Product support and follow up on the production of advocacy and communication materials e , films, Videos, audiovisuals, etc., and oversee the qualitative aspect of production,(e.g. quality, control translations, reviews of layout and graphic design etc )
- Monitor dissemination of communication materials to target audiences and participate in the evaluation of their impact Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Maintain a library of media coverage (videos, articles, etc.
- Organize and support press conferences, media events or other special events
- Prepare background communication and promotional materials for briefings and visits of media, partners and other special guests or interest groups. The task includes preparing information materials (eg programme summaries, country fact sheets and other communication materials that are required, and assisting in the planning logistics and administrative arrangements
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Planning and organizing
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/Competency%20Framework_E.pdf
Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or another related field; postgraduate degree in is an asset.
- A minimum of five years of relevant writing professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media interactive digital media or in communications and press departments, preferably in the context of development
- Demonstrated command of writing and editing and the development of media and/or communication materials,
- Excellent written and spoken Nepalese.
- Excellent written and spoken English
Skills and Competencies
- Commitment to team work
- Capacity to coach and mentor others;
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills:
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Capacity to collaborate and positively engage with stakeholders in the media, as well as partners and beneficiaries, including national/local authorities;
- Demonstrated personal sensitivity and commitment to the values and principles of equity, gender equality, cultural diversity and children and youth protection
- Excellent computing skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and related programmes, and knowledge in using digital media software including Adobe Creative Cloud Bundle such as Illustrator, Photoshop. Premiere Pro and InDesign is highly desirable;
- Prior UN experience is an asset
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website (https://careers.unesco.org). No modifications can be made to the application submitted The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.