We are a charity/NGO that works on the ground with slum children and their families teaching in the slums and outdoors most if not all of the year. We are looking for kind hearted people who are honest and work hard and who believe that all people are created equal and don’t have discrimination issues in working with dalit class or others.
We expect our teachers to take part in self improvement classes that we provide to better your skills.
Our teachers are expected to work as directed and to assist in not just the teaching but other aspects of the charity as well like skills trainings for families, self reliance training, assist in health camps & distributions of materials to children, families, and schools and may be required to travel upon occasion to other areas for short term periods as an outreach activity.
Successful teachers will have good record keeping skills and be able to communicate with technology to our directors and work with our senior teacher who will direct the day to day work to be done.
In addition to wages we offer bonuses for good work and other benefits.
This will start with a 90 day probation period while we assess your skills and willingness to work with poor people and help us accomplish our mission.
- Planning and implementing activities that meet the physical, intellectual, emotional and social needs of their students. Using mostly Montessori methods to engage and motivate students
- You must be able to adapt your daily routines to meet the interest and needs of the individual child and the group for greatest benefit to the individual and group while completing the goals of the charity
- Maintaining and scheduling weekly and monthly activities as directed by the board and senior teacher
- Teachers are expected to teach on the ground in the slums, along the side of the river, and any other designated place that most times will not be inside of a classroom. We teach where others don’t want to go
- Teachers must be able to interact with and motivate children and their families in a positive manner and not see themselves as “above” those whom they are teaching
- You must be willing to get dirty, to work closely with children and enter into their homes and not be constantly putting on sanitizer, afraid to take things from lower caste people ( i.e. water bottle, packaged food, or anything hygienic)
- Ensuring that the facility and all equipment is clean, well-maintained, and safe when using the facility
- Communicating with parents and discussing their children’s development and how they can participate in their child’s success
- Observe the children and make notes of their progress and development for EHN and their supporters keeping good records and taking many pictures as asked and directed
- Promoting literacy and early education especially in the community and with families of EHN children and others
- Providing a safe and secure environment where children feel comfortable to learn and to play and protecting them from outside interference
- Providing age-appropriate experiences and activities for children, including storytelling, games, dances, and songs
- Integrating special needs children in a positive and respectful manner that makes them feel included
- Conducting open air classroom effectively. Most of our classes are held in the open air throughout the year so you must be comfortable working outside
- Make weekly visits to various slum communities
- Counseling parents about the importance of education for the sake of the children and their families. Additionally speaking out against and educating families about child marriage
- Taking part in distribution of materials and supporting health camps and other activities of the charity
- Learning from our partners via skype and in person as we have trainers from around the world who work with our teachers to develop their skills
- Minimum of one year Montessori teaching experience
- As most of our students are girls you must be comfortable and familiar with menstrual hygiene management and able to with training instruct girls and women and distribute materials
- Hard working is a requirement for success with us and a positive “I can do it!” attitude. If you are a negative person we would not be a good fit for you
- Child protection is the most important part of what we do and we will do a background check on our applicants and expect our applicants to always protect the interests of the children above all others