Full Time, 38 hours per week
The key task of the Head of Programme – Inclusive Governance is to lead VSO Nepal in effectively delivering an innovative, ambitious, visible, and evidence-based Inclusive Governance programme, in accordance with Nepal’s new political and government context, and to actively participate in country office development and management. VSO’s Inclusive Governance programme is a platform for innovating and piloting methods for improving Nepal’s governance through approaches in gender and social inclusion, resilience, and social accountability – and the Head of Programme will have a background reflecting this. The role will lead on all aspects of the Inclusive Governance programme’s strategic and results-based programming, as well as the capacity strengthening of programme staff. The Head of Programme will also focus on building strong relationships with a range of key partners including line ministries, donors, international and local NGOs, and communities and work towards obtaining external funding for VSO’s programmes.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
Qualification and experiences:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent training in social science, Disaster Risk Management, International Development, or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience (including at least 5 in leadership position) managing project portfolios in Governance, Social Accountability, Resilience, Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Risk Management, Urban DRR, Climate Change, or Social Inclusion and Gender.
- Proven track record contributing to or leading business development initiatives targeting institutional, foundation/trust, private sector or other funding sources – USAID, DFID, EU, ADB, World Bank, Nordic donors preferred.
- Outstanding technical expertise in Decentralization/federalism, Governance, Social Accountability, Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Risk Management, Climate Resilience, or Social Inclusion and Gender.
- Ability to develop and deliver learning and development initiatives.
- Proven understanding of contemporary approaches in participatory development, and gender and social inclusion.
- Knowledge of key requirements for successful engagement of skilled volunteers in development projects.
Performance management support:
- Experience of performance management of programme staff at an operational level.
- Ability to lead, develop, motivate, coach and support a high performing team.
- Ability to lead and take difficult decisions. Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service.
- Strong financial management skills, including ability to understand and work with concepts relevant to restricted and unrestricted funding.
- Understanding of financial management policy.
- Excellent budget monitoring and management skills.
- Excellent teamwork and relationship building skills
- Experience working collaboratively as a member of a Management Team, and of building partnerships in a multi-cultural environment.
- In-depth knowledge of the full range of administrative and logistical services in development, including procurement, compliance, government registration, and other systems and procedures.
Information Technology :
- Good level of computer skills (Windows, Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook, and Internet).
- Understanding of the role of international development, more specifically volunteering in Country.
- Knowledge and experience of local laws governing operations of International Non-Government Organisations, employment of employees and contract.
- Ability to negotiate and maintain positive working relationships with government officials.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to influence and coach and ability to build partnerships and relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience working cross-culturally, and understanding of issues of diversity.
Work Management and Problem Solving:
- Self-organised with ability to manage time and tight schedules, working effectively under pressure
- Ability to work on own initiative, with a creative approach to problem solving.
- Strong level of attention to detail
Commitment to VSO’s values:
- Flexibility to adapt to new situations, with a positive attitude to working in an international organisation. Able to travel occasionally and spend time away from base and home.
- Experience working with International Non-Government Organisations and with Government Officials.
- Knowledge of Country employment laws.
- Project management experience.
- Information Technology networking/ hard and software application installation and troubleshooting.
- Experience of managing change in an international environment.
- Research knowledge and experience on Intimate Partner Violence and on Social Exclusion and Gender Assessments.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for.
To apply for the position click the link: http://vso.force.com/jobopportunities/Job_DetailsPage?jid=a0mD000000C7gEg&m=i and complete all relevant fields on the online application form then submit your application online by 29th May 2018.