Department: BBC Media Action
Grade: Grade 8
Reports To: Country Director
Based: Kathmandu office with some travel to remote areas in Nepal
Duration: 1 April 2016 to 30 March 2017, possibility of renew upon securing funds
Reporting to the Country Director, and dotted line to the Head of Project Finance, and working with finance officer, the Finance Manager will be the focal point for accounting processes, financial controls, donor compliance for restricted funding, legal and statutory compliance for BBC Media Action's work in Nepal. S/he will also be required to develop and deliver training to staff and partners on financial management elements. The Finance Manager will ensure that all BBC Media Action financial transactions are compliant with the principle of value for money.
1. Financial Management of BBCMA office in Nepal
- To oversee the management of all BBC Media Action bank accounts ensuring that reconciliations are carried out monthly and that all necessary financial controls are in place;
- To oversee the management of all BBC Media Action cash accounts ensuring that reconciliations are carried out monthly and that all necessary financial controls are in place;
- To ensure that there is consistency in the use of Dimension (Organisational) account codes across the office and all monthly returns and to maintain the integrity of the financial information in organisational accounting software for the office, ensuring entries are correct & up-to-date;
- To ensure that the office submits its monthly cash-flow request to HQ on time and with all necessary supporting documentation
- To ensure the office submits its monthly financial return to senior management in country and project finance in HQ on time and with all necessary supporting documentation; and ensure the monthly checklists (Finance Manager and CD) are completed on time, signed off by the CD and sent to London within monthly deadlines
- To ensure that all projects in each project are correctly forecasted for in the corporate forecasting processes;
- To ensure that a record is kept of all legal contracts, MoUs and agreements in the office and that these are kept up to date and complied with;
2. Financial Management of Projects (restricted funds)
- To ensure that the budgeting of all new applications on all restricted fund projects are prepared, reviewed and supported;
- To ensure that financial reports on all restricted fund projects are prepared, reviewed, supported and submitted in a timely manner;
- To ensure that project audits on all restricted fund projects are arranged and carried out in line with the donor contract;
- To ensure that all restricted fund projects are correctly closed down including disposal of assets, closure of bank accounts and finalisation of reports;
3. Financial Risk Assessment
- To keep up to date the financial risk assessments of all projects in Nepal, ensuring that key financial risks are identified, clear recommendations are given on how to deal with areas of weaknesses identified and to ensure that the recommendations are implemented in collaboration with the country team;
- To support any internal and or external audit as required by corporate processes;
4. Financial Training
- To design, develop, schedule and deliver financial training to BBC Media Action staff based in each department;
- To design, develop, schedule and deliver financial training to partner national society staff as required;
- To carry out the financial induction for new starters in each office;
- Undertake any other task assigned in line with job description, by the Country Director.
Essential skills and experience
- Qualified accountant and/or MBA/MA degree holder preferably an accounting major with minimum of 8 years experience in the finance sector with 4 at management level.
- Experience of working with audit firm and international donors and a working knowledge of donor compliance for major donors (eg. DFID, EU, USAID, UN).
- Proven experience in managing all aspects of finance in a development context.
- Excellent computer skills with experience of operating computer-based financial management systems. Competent to advance level in Microsoft Excel.
- An excellent knowledge of the English language, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English, and the ability to communicate effectively and efficiently.
- Experience and proven track record of developing, and managing budget and the commitment to achieving the most efficient and cost effective use of resources.
- Experience in and proven track record to training and supporting partner organization on financial management.
- High attention to detail and the ability to raise issues solve problems that are financial in nature.
- Ability to guide BBC Media Action team to achieve highest standard of financial integrity and accountability.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
- Strategic Thinking: Can identify a vision along with the plans that need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Problem Solving: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for decision making and problem-solving. Transforms proposals/ideas into practical reality.
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Resilience: Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Leadership – Ability to create a vision and inspire others to realise it.
- Self-Development – able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV and covering letter outlining your interest in the role, and demonstrating how you fulfil the essential skills and experience, by June 6, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org (with job title in the subject line).