Title: Communications Manager
Based: Kathmandu with possible travel to field locations
Duration: 6 months (extension subject to funding)
BBC Media Action Nepal is seeking potential applicants for the position of “Communications Manager”.
Communications Manager will provide strategic communication support and delivery of the BBC Media Action’s different projects. Using high quality communication as the medium, the post holder will identify information gaps, share information priorities, and feedback to the project teams on critical needs. S/he needs experience working at a high level where diplomacy and good interpersonal skills are essential.
Strategic Planning, Implementation, and leadership
- Deliver strategic communications support from planning to implementation. This involves setting objectives, generating, and analyzing audience insight, managing the engagement of internal stakeholders, ensuring successful prioritization and delivery of communications activities, and evaluating their effectiveness.
- Lead in developing and implementing strategic communications activities and tools based on research findings and insights, ensuring that they reflect the BBC’s editorial values and support project delivery.
- Provide guidance to the project team in developing and integrating communications plans in specific programme projects and activities, encouraging creativity across all mediums.
- To provide senior management team, project team and production team with authentic information and source of strategic and tactical advice on all aspects of Communications whenever necessary.
- To manage the team to effectively design and deliver targeted and high impact communication strategy to promote the work and impact of BBC Media Action Nepal.
- Develop strategic partnerships with government institutions, donors and development organisations.
- Identify, liaise, and maintain relationship with key Informants, experts, stakeholders, government agencies, civil society groups, development partners and contributors for various research, which BBC Media Action conducts to inform its internal as well as external communication strategies.
- Liaise with media partners and provide communication advisory assistance to partner organisations as and when required.
- Represent Nepal office with editorial contacts, donor agencies and other key stakeholders when required.
- Explore opportunities in digital media and support in dissemination of digital media contents.
- Develop and implement short-term and long-term social media strategies; and manage social media platforms, including creating and sharing relevant digital posts.
- Coordinate with the production team in reviewing, polishing and finalising text, audio and visual materials produced by the team members including but not limited to success stories, photographs, video and social media contents.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and policy development across the organisation.
- Understand and comply with the Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct.
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistle blowing Policy.
Essential skills and experience
- Minimum university degree in relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of proven experience in related sector.
- Experience of working on successful multi-media campaigns working across multiple communication platforms.
- Knowledge of and experience with media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods.
- Substantial experience of managing relationships and coordinating with, government representatives, civil society groups, and/or media partners.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and guide communications teams/partners, and to manage and build the capacity of local communications partners.
- Demonstrated experience of conducting and managing communications activities.
- Fluency in both Nepali and English.
- Experience of working in multicultural professional environments.
- Adaptable to changing circumstances and organisational needs.
- High analytical skills and able to represent the views and values of BBC Media Action.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience working on communications in emergency preparedness response, feeding up-to-date information from the ground into response programming
- Experience managing relationships with aid agencies, government bodies, media and other relevant stakeholders
The following competencies (behaviors and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and Organizing: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Self-Development: Able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.