Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Based: Kathmandu with possible travel to field locations
Duration: Up to 12 June, 2017
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Communication Advisor will ensure communications produced by the BBC Media Action (and where necessary, messages developed by USAID partners), are technically sound, accurate, region specific, grounded in the latest evidence, technology and local contextual understanding of what is as available, and understandable by our target audience.
- Ensure communications produced by reconstruction radio programme and drama are technically sound and accurate and understandable by our target audience.
- Develop and implement a coherent, balanced and integrated communication strategy for reconstruction project, using various mechanisms and information distribution channels, such as events, PR, Web and social media.
- Research and review all communication materials.
- Advice partners when necessary on message.
- Provide editing and proofreading to reconstruction project team as requested in both English and Nepali.
- Arrange interviews and meetings with technical experts as per the need of the reconstruction production team.
- Bring together technical experts with communication experts.
- Build alliances with communications practitioners and networks in Nepal.
- Document success stories and work with the Research and Learning team to publish and disseminate research products.
- Bring in latest information and evidence related to reconstruction and timely messaging and sharing with the team.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Senior Project Manager.
- Essential Skills and Experience
- An interest in the role of media and communications in development efforts.
- Support on pre-testing of reconstruction radio programme.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both Nepali and English, with experience in translation and transcription, conveying messages to different audiences using diverse media and experience in editing and proofreading corporate communication documents for public dissemination.
- Thorough knowledge of MS-Office Suite, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email applications.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines and to balance often conflicting demands.
- An ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Commitment to BBC Media Action’s vision, mission and objectives.
- Flexibility, creativity and effectiveness in working collaboratively in a multicultural team.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience working on communications in disaster-response, feeding up-to-date information from the ground into response/ recovery programming.
- Experience managing relationships with aid agencies, government bodies, media and other relevant stakeholders.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements
- Self-Development: Able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV and covering letter outlining your interest in the role, and demonstrating how you fulfil the essential skills and experience, by June 24, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org (with job title in the subject line).