German Development Cooperation
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Technical Advisor Taxation in the Revenue Administration Support (RAS) project, implemented in cooperation with Inland Revenue Department (IRD) and supported by Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) on behalf of German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The current phase of the Revenue Administration Support Project (RAS) started on 1 July 2021 and is set to complete by July 2024. The overall objective of the project is to create conditions whereby "The system of tax administration in Nepal is strengthened in terms of increasing taxpayer's-compliance". To achieve the overall objective, the project works along three output areas: (A) Strengthening the IT systems for compliance with taxpayers' obligations (B) Capacity development of the tax authority in the area of tax auditing (C) Improving services to taxpayers to reduce tax compliance costs.
Position: Advisor - Taxation
Duty Station: Kathmandu with frequent travel to project locations.
- Develop and support the RAS team in designing, monitoring and steering of the project activities to achieve the objective.
- Cooperate with other GIZ projects and programmes in Nepal in relation with taxation.
- Maintain active review of operational plan and assigned indicators and update activities in the On Site Operations system.
- Implementation reports as and when required by the project.
- Develop and facilitate a coherent - technically as well as strategically - sound approach of the project's technical assistance, especially in the areas of tax policies and procedures to IRD.
- Facilitate the improvement of IRD's performance with a particular focus on developing capacities of tax officials in the areas of tax audit, investigation and prevention of illicit financial flows, international treaties, conventions and best practices on topics such as transfer pricing and BEPS etc.
- Support IRD in implementing measures for improvement in provision of taxpayer services for enhancing voluntary compliance and taxpayer education.
- Provide general technical advice to the counterpart as well as team members, especially in view of particular questions on the Nepalese tax system (e.g. tax laws, regulations, tax segments/SME, etc.)
- Develop and maintain contacts with all relevant national stakeholders and act as liaison person for specific counterparts as required by the programme.
- Cooperate and maintain active liaison with governmental institutions, non-governmental organizations and particular target-groups of the programme including representative bodies of businesses/taxpayers.
- Support short-term consultants and experts of the programmes in order to fulfill their tasks during their assignment.
- Provide technical advice to program management in designing of new measures and studies focusing on various aspects of taxation in Nepal.
Required qualification and experience:
- Master's Degree from a recognized university in the field of Finance, Public Administration, Public Policy, Economics, Law or any other relevant degree or professional qualification.
- Minimum 10 years of working experience in the field of public financial management, taxation etc.
- Previous experience of working with international development institutions in relevant fields will be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge (Written and verbal) of English and Nepali.
- Pronounced ability to analyze complex situations and approach them with a solution-oriented attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain good working relationships with local stakeholders including government departments.
- Proficient in the use of common MS Office tools (Word, Power point, Excel) and modern telecommunication systems (telephone, fax, e-mail, internet).