Reports to: Youth Manager
Working with: Youth Officers
Benefits: Gratuity, Dashain Allowance, Medical Insurance, SSF
Purpose of the Position:
UON has been running a care leavers club in Kathmandu, providing an open space where young people who have grown up in institutional care can come in and access information and support on a number of subjects – but with a focus on encouraging young people who are not employed or in education to re-enter one of those fields. A number of other support services and activities will be facilitated from this youth centre.
Youth Officers working in the club will be expected to be a source of knowledge for a range of subjects, for example SRH, career/education pathways, peer pressure, consent, gender + sexuality, drug/alcohol abuse.
Core Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Form positive relationships with young people, creating a safe environment where they can talk freely and receive advice
- Provide friendly, up-to-date and accurate information on subjects effecting young people including, but not limited to: SRH, safe migration, peer pressure, consent, gender, sexuality, drug/alcohol abuse, education/career pathway, nutrition & hygiene, mental health
- Deliver regular workshops to young people on some of the above-listed topics, and on other subjects as per the request of the young people
- Facilitate youth-led activities: community and educational. This will involve encouraging young people to think of activities that will benefit the community, and then implementing them. Educational activities might include trips to colleges, places of interest, etc
- Support with the assessment and evaluation of young people who may require emergency support.
- To develop and maintain relationships between employers, educational facilities, NGOs, etc to increase the chance of being able to successfully refer young people to services
- Liaise with local community members and local government to ensure positive relationships and the positive reputation of the club
- Preparation of reports, as required
- Develop case studies and success stories
- Facilitate donor visits
- Promotes and abide by internal policies and procedures including but not limited to child protection policy, code of conduct and mandatory reporting responsibilities
- Any other duties deemed appropriate by Youth Manager or Program Director
- Represent UON as the first point-of-contact for the club
- Represent UON at meetings with potential service providers
- Essential Qualifications, experience and competences
- Bachelor degree in social science or other relevant subjects
- Experience and proven skills in child protection/working with youth and young people
- Up-to-date knowledge/awareness of the issues mentioned above (e.g. mental health, SRH, consent, equality etc), including the relevant legal provisions
- Advanced communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English.
- Ability to work as part of a team, relying on each other's skills and knowledge
- Proven problem solving and organizational skills, flexible and calm under pressure
- Friendly and approachable
- Ability to form and maintain relationships with a range of people: young people, local government, employers, educators
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, E-mail)
Desirable Qualifications, Experience, and Competences
Terms of Contract:
- Demonstrable background in health sector (public health, mental health, SRH)
- Experience working with vulnerable and/or challenging youth.
- Own links to organisations/institutions who may be able to offer services / provide support
- Experience organizing workshops and trainings
The initial contract for the above vacancy will be for one year, with the option to extend based on the performance and availability of funding.
The salary will be Rs. 26,657/Month with all benefits stated in the Labour Act 2074.
Interested and suitable candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and their CV to the following email address: [email protected].
Preference will be given to people from marginalized communities. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for the selection process. Deadline for the application is March 19, 2020
No Telephone enquiry will be entertained.