As frontline staff, the Volunteer Program Manager is the face of VIN to the International Community. S/he represents VIN's values and mission and is responsible for effectively integrating the skills and experiences of international volunteers with the knowledge and vision of the local team.
VIN is looking for a self-motivated and driven individual who is an effective communicator. S/he should enjoy working with people from different nationalities and be mature enough to draw out the best from people of all ages, cultural backgrounds, education levels, professional skills, and personalities. This manager should ensure regular evaluation, review, and development of VIN's volunteer strategies.
The role involves interacting heavily with interested parties to promote VIN, befitting the experience that the potential volunteer is seeking. It also includes managing and keeping alumni volunteers close to VIN through constant updates using practical communication tools. As the bridge between the Nepalese and international communities, the influence of the Volunteer Manager starts before an international volunteer arrives in Nepal and continues even after the volunteer leaves.
Length of Contract: 2 years with possible extension
The main Responsibilities
Planning and Preparation:
- Leads the volunteer management team and formulates a yearly volunteer engagement plan that aligns with our community empowerment program. The plan must illustrate the number of volunteers required to execute each project on yearly basis.
- Prepare smart volunteer profiles for each projects.
- Prepare schedule tailored projects to suit each volunteer’s skills, motivation and need.
- Create new volunteering roles based on the need of the communities.
- Prepare step by step project process guidebook.
- Prepare info-sheets / pre departure packs and profiles of host family, Monastery, Schools, women/children/youth’s clubs.
- Recruit enough local volunteers to work together with international volunteers.
- Skills- matching prior/during placement based on the volunteer’s skills and interest.
Networking & Partners’ capacity building:
- Research likeminded organizations, schools, universities, companies to place volunteers and prepare baseline survey on how we can collaborate with them.
- Conduct partners’ capacity baseline survey and implement a development plan, e.g. workshops, interactions, meetings.
Program Development and Promotion:
- Conduct baseline survey in the working communities’ (also literature reviews) and create appealing engaging volunteering programs.
- Prepare contents to promote VIN’s work on websites, social media, third party websites etc.
- Updating of all program and projects.
Preparation of Local and international Volunteers:
- Organize a warm welcome to each volunteer (Airport pick up).
- Prepare and conduct on arrival orientation course (project orientation, language & culture, health and safety etc.).
- Integrate volunteers into the local culture.
- Motivate and empower each volunteer in their roles.
- Ensure each volunteer have their SMART plan & indicators while their placement.
- Ensure all volunteers are resourceful before the placement.
Mentoring & Supervision:
- Visit each volunteer/intern and provide enough mentoring and follow up support.
- Monitor their learning and development
- Ensure their good health & hygiene; good food and accommodation.
- Organize monthly meetings, social events like dinner, excursions, cultural events, festivities.
- Improvise projects/ roles based on the volunteers working experiences.
- Coordination: Coordinate with the local staff, volunteers, partners and stakeholders for the project effectiveness.
Reward and Recognition:
- Ensure that every volunteer feels highly appreciated in their work.
- Regularly organize events where each volunteers work and creativity is recognized.
- Ensure that every volunteer feels unique at VIN.
Evaluation and Feedback:
- Ensure regular feedback, support, and evaluation with volunteers and staff.
- Ensure that every volunteer’s work is well documented in our archive system.
- The project work progress by each volunteers is well documented and ready for handover to new volunteers.
- Documentation of all form of volunteer work (contracts, work schedule, weekly/monthly progress reports, feedback forms, verbal suggestions, meeting minutes etc.)
- Documentation of outputs – soft copies, photos, videos, reports, handover, interviews, success stories, testimonials etc.)
- Documentation of project resource
Salary and benefits: Rs. 50,000 to 60,000 depending on qualification and experience