Number of Consultant: 1
Abt Associates seeks a dynamic GESI Consultant for the USAID Nepal’s Sajhedari – Support to Federalism (STF) project which aims to support the Government of Nepal in the transition from a unitary state to a federation of provinces and enhance citizen participation in and oversight of local governance through the following objectives:
Objective 1: The GoN creates sound policies and legislation that empower, finance and regulate provincial and municipal governments;
Objective 2: Provincial and municipal governments in Province Five or Seven are more responsive, accountable, transparent and effective; and
Objective 3: Citizens and civil society organizations in the target municipalities are more involved in local decision-making and oversight.
Roles and responsibilities
The major responsibility of the Consultant would be to
- Conduct GESI assessment at federal, Provincial and local levels to identify the gaps in policy and practices and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Develop GESI orientation manual incorporating GESI mainstreaming strategy for the sensitization of project staff, municipal leaders and staff, and CSO leaders.
- Develop a checklist for GESI capacity assessment of Palikas
The specific responsibilities
- Identify the excluded and the vulnerable and the causes of exclusion and vulnerability.
- Use tools to identify the women, poor, the excluded and the vulnerable and causes of exclusion and vulnerability.
- Identify issues at the different spheres of society (household, community, and local government,) so that interventions can be appropriately informed
- Identify whether existing policies and programs are addressing the barriers of women and marginalized groups and identify the measures required.
The consultant will submit the following:
- Inception report with scope, methodology and analytical framework to conduct GESI assessment within 7 days of signing the contract
- Draft report of the GESI assessment
- Final GESI assessment report incorporating the comments from Sajhedari-STF team
- Draft one-day orientation manual on GESI mainstreaming with session plan, training content, presentation slides, and relevant case studies and illustrations
- Final orientation manual incorporating comments from Sajhedari-STF team
- Draft checklist for GESI capacity assessment of Palikas and final checklist after incorporating feedback from Sajhedari-STF team
- Master degree in development studies, Gender or related field.
- Previous experience in GESI policy research and analysis.
- Experience in developing training manual and capacity development materials
- Demonstrated capacity to lead the collection, analysis, and utilization of data and information from a broad range of sources to ensure effective integration of GESI concerns in project programming;
- Professional level of verbal and written fluency in English and Nepali.