Reports To: Project Manager
Salary: Min USD 700
Site Safety and Health Officer (SSHO) is responsible for personnel on the site, maintaining proper medical surveillance, providing hazard communication information, training employees in safe operating procedures, emergency response, reviewing accident reports, reviewing inspection results, and advising the Project Manager on matters concerning the health and safety of employees. The SHSO will be required to perform various types of area or personnel monitoring to verify worker exposure and ensure the proper selection of personal protective equipment (PPE). SHSO is required to perform activity hazard analysis for each major activity on site and implement accident prevention plan. SSHO must have the following minimum qualifications:
- 5 years of relevant experience in the construction sector
- 5 years as Health and Safety Officer in Nepal or similar developing country context
- The 30-hour OSHA General Industry safety class or equivalent
- The 30-hour OSHA Construction Industry safety class or equivalent
- Apply professional competence with specialized knowledge of health and safety on construction projects particularly with large excavations, hazardous soil disposal, backfilling and site restoration, commensurate with level of experience
- Support the on-site Site Supervisor and the Project Manager by ensuring that all construction activities are being conducted in compliance with all applicable health and safety protocols including those Accident Prevention Plan, Site Safety and Health Plan, and OSHA protocol
- Ensure that site project activities are completed safely and with a goal of zero injuries/accidents.
- Capable of assessing and defining health and safety problems in the field, establishing facts, drawing conclusions, and interpreting large complex health and safety issues
- Acting as a Competent Person (CP) for the excavation and other construction activities.
- Self-motivated, with high degree of attention-to-detail
- Working knowledge of English and fluency in Nepali
- Familiar with Health and Safety Regulations of Government of Nepal
- Ability to travel to remote areas