TEAM/PROGRAMME: Shelter/Emergency Response
CONTRACT LENGTH: Till December 2016 with possibility of extension
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 - The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
The post holder will sit under the Shelter Coordinator or District Manager. They will be responsible for undertaking field level shelter activities in collaboration with Shelter Community Mobilization Officers and partner staffs, this will include being involved in shelter strengthening and key messaging activities, recovery support activities, assessments, monitoring, and activities to support longer term recovery. Some aspects of this position will require working within very remote communities and so the post holder should be prepared to walk for long distances and sleep overnight in remote locations when necessary.
- Participate in beneficiary selection process in coordination with VDC, DDC and Local Project Management Implementation Unit (LPMIU).
- Design different types of shelter as per National Building Code in coordination with Shelter Coordinator.
- Prepare cost estimate and operation plan with Bill of Quantities (BOQ)
- Support communities to procure quality construction materials to use for safer construction.
- Assist team to transfer cash to beneficiaries as per agreed SOP and standard practices.
- Ensure Minimum Requirement on safer shelter construction
- Ensure quality of construction and timely accomplishment of shelter activities.
- Work very closely with WASH, Food Security and Livelihood (FSL) and Child Protection (CP) team.
- Undertake shelter condition assessments preparing all necessary paperwork
- Complete necessary monitoring & evaluation procedures for activities
- Participate in regular project team meetings as per advice from District Manager.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, whilst representing Save the Children and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships
- Participate in the generation of the final and interim reporting of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities e.g. through weekly and monthly reports
- Oversee management of assigned shelter assistant staff, including day-to-day management and work planning
- Prepare Training Plan, Procurement Request (PR) and work very closely with procurement and Logistic Team. Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
- Ensure Gender Equity & Social Inclusion (GESI) in shelter work with high level of community engagement.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or, architecture with 3 years*of extensive technical experience in construction field (2 years* for application from GSI group)
- Excellent teamwork & interpersonal skills, demonstrated by previous experience
- Proficiency on AUTO CAD, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Good time management skills
- Fluency in written and spoken Nepali and English
- Strength in interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Flexibility and willingness to change work practices and hours to adapt to emergency situation, and capability to work in difficult to access environment
- Available to travel in country several days a week