TEAM/PROGRAMME: Global Fund
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invested over 29 million US dollars in 2012 to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
The Sr. Technical Specialist will be a key member of the GFATM - Malaria team who will provide technical and programmatic guidance to the National Malaria Control Programme and implementing partners in the field of program design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the program.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The main roles and responsibilities of the Sr. Technical Specialist will be:
- Provide technical expertise at national and district level to execute GFATM approved Malaria control/elimination program in the country
- Ensure roll out of evidence based best practice for taking the country towards Malaria Elimination.
- Provide support and guidance to EDCD and the PR to address challenges and bottlenecks in the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of Malaria interventions
- Serve as primary liaison with different project partners on supply chain issues, with a focus on ensuring availability of essential commodities at health facility and field level
- Provide technical oversight to all Malaria related research and surveillance activities covered by the GFATM program
- Lead on the development of Behavior Change Communications tools and resources, in collaboration with EDCD and technical partners.
- Supporting the revision of malaria training modules and guidelines, and training for EDCD staff.
- Attend national and regional coordination meetings and workshops, and participate in relevant training events, sharing lessons learned with the project team
- Formulate recommendations for the project’s responses to new developments and emerging issues and share with EDCD and PR
- Work with WHO and Save the Children global technical staff and the technical officers in country offices to enhance learning, linkages and collaboration.
- Support the staffs based in region for surveillance of malaria cases.
- Conduct therapeutic studies in coordination with the hospitals and academic institution.
- Support the team in execution of micro stratification and malariometric survey, Mobile malaria clinics.
- Ensure proper distribution of LLINs and monitor the use and effectiveness of LLINs post distribution.
- Conduct trainings on Active case detection, reactive case detection, proactive case detection, community based surveillance etc. as per the plan.
- Ensure the use of Surveillance as a core intervention.
- Explore community based test, treat, and track modality for malaria.
- Support Quality Assurance/ Quality Control activities in malaria diagnosis and support the establishment of National Malaria Reference Lab in malaria diagnosis.
- Support VBDRTC in building its capacity
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Medical degree (MBBS) with Master degree in related Health Sciences (Master in Tropical Medicines is preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in the field of public health. Prior experience in Malaria program is preferred.
- Demonstrated technical leadership, policy development experience, and problem solving skills working on and providing expert oversight of Malaria elimination interventions
- Oversight and analysis of malaria programme outcomes including collation and storage of data, so that implementation can be evaluated effectively; support field teams in the use and analysis of routine program monitoring information for malaria;
- Extensive experience in international public health (with focus on malaria or mass drug administration for other diseases), with experience in Malaria health programme design, implementation, coordination and management
- Strong programme management and policy analysis skills including programme monitoring and evaluation, strategy development and ability to work effectively with partners and stakeholders
- A demonstrated track record in capacity building, training and supervision of project staff, partners and health workers
- Ability to provide vision and input to strategy development at country level
- Collaborating with the Ministry of Health and Population on the implementation of technically sound public health programs, including malaria control prevention interventions
- A proven sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in culturally challenging environments
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills; able to delegate efficiently and provide technical support to teams, without direct line management responsibility for them
- Excellent time management skills, able to consistently meet deliverables and milestones within timeframes
- Able to drive forward agendas and find solutions to address bottlenecks
- Experience in technical analysis and writing, with proven ability to produce research protocols, journal articles, publishable manuscripts, technical briefs, etc.
- Experience mentoring sub-grantees in M&E matters
- Ability to travel at least 25% of the time, as and when needed.