No of positions: 1
Supervisor: MNCH FP Specialist
Under the supervision of the province based MNCH FP Specialist, the Senior Technical Officer – MNCH will work collaboratively with other Technical Officers (MNCH/FP, Information System and Health Systems) and with the MoSD, Provincial Health Directorate, District Coordination Committees (DCCs), District Health Offices (DHOs), or their equivalent in new federal structure, selected Municipality officials, to support/facilitate implementation and quality of the maternal, newborn and child health activities at municipality and district level, with special focus on improving availability and quality of MNCH services. The position holder is responsible to liaise with other development partners primarily working in the field of MNCH
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Program Support (LOE 60%)
- Coordinate and supervise the implementation of MNCH components for Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity at provincial, district and local (municipality and health facility) level, especially focusing on improving availability and quality of MNCH services in identified sites.
- Provide oversight to the project field teams and troubleshoot any technical challenges related to maternal, newborn, child health and family planning aspects of the project, in coordination with MNCH FP Specialist and other Province team members.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to Technical Officers and and ensure appropriate coordination with work streams overseen by those colleagues.
- Lead and prepare to conduct situation assessments, documentation and timely dissemination of existing MNCH initiatives in health primarily focusing on assigned areas and incorporate appropriate initiatives into Activity work plans and work plan prepared by Palika governments.
- Develop a plan and ensure proper implementation of MNCH initiatives and ensure timely delivery of activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans) at field level.
- Guide and support the provincial SSBH and government team to review MNCH data, track MNCH monitoring data and use it to make programmatic improvements, in close coordination with provincial and district counterparts.
Capacity Building (LOE 30%)
- Identify gaps, approaches to improve clinical service delivery focusing maternal, newborn child health and family planning at municipal and facility level.
- Develop and deliver capacity building plans for stakeholders (esp health facility based providers and municipality level health staff ) linking capacity building initiatives to wider opportunities identified on effective MNCH and FP initiatives and ensure retention of skills built.
- Identification and facilitation of capacity building measures for government and selected private sector hospitals, KAHS on clinical and management aspects of MNCH and FP, in coordination with Surkhet-based MNCH/FP and other Specialists.
- Mentor, coach and support municipality and health facility team members as well as MNCH/FP Technical Officers in maternal, newborn, child health and family planning service provision.
- Guide and support health care providers, different management committee members, community groups, local NGOs and CBOs, coordination committees to ensure that they have clear objectives, plans and support to enhance community support for demand generation, management of health system, monitoring service delivery from equity perspectives.
Coordination (LOE 10%)
- Represent SSBH team in selected technical working groups (especially on MNCH/FP) at provincial and district level.
- Collaborate and work with line agencies including Municipalities, DCCs and other implementing partners and development agencies at provincial level for smooth operations of activities on MNCH activities.
- Work with provincial team and other members of the multi-disciplinary local teams, local elected bodies and councils at sub-provincial level to ensure their engagement and support for planning, implementing, monitoring of MNCH related project activities
Required qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in Nursing or Public Health with clinical background (i.e. MBBS,BN, BSc Nursing).
- At least six years of related professional experience with Technical Knowledge and understanding and experience of maternal, newborn, child health, family planning and program planning and delivery.
- Must be SBA-trained and experience on maternal and newborn health care services.
- Clinical trainings on LARC and IMNCI will be an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in team in remote areas.
- Manage multiple tasks concurrently; meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Understanding of Government of Nepal’s health care delivery system including service availability, utilization, quality aspects.
- Strong networking and computer proficiency skills.
- Excellent written/oral skills in Nepali and English
- Ability to travel in remote areas of assigned districts within short notice; qualified applicants who are from and/or working in Lumbini and Karnali Provinces will be given strong consideration.
Those who had applied earlier for the position need not apply again.
SSBH is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and culture. Individuals from minority groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection process. Canvassing at any stage of the processes shall lead to automatic disqualification.