Kindernothilfe e.V. (which means ‘Help for children in need’, in short: KNH) is a German nongovernmental welfare organization aiding at present more than 588,000 destitute children in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. In Nepal, KNH is currently implementing projects applying Self Help Approach (SHA) in Terai districts and in the far west and child right advocacy projects in Kathmandu. SHA is an organizing strategy for women in remote and impoverished areas, aimed to address the development and empowerment needs of the community towards the fulfilment of women and children’s rights.
KNH is seeking a Nepali national to fulfill the position of SHA Coordinator (NC). S/he will work for Self Help Group Approach promotion and shall be responsible for organizing, coordinating, documenting and co-facilitating SHA activities and trainings related to community and women empowerment and institution building in various parts of Nepal.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities:
The role of the SHA Coordination lies mainly on the operational level. The SHA coordinator level predominantly trains KNH partners in the field and monitors the implementation of KNH developed SHA principles, modules, formats, tools etc. The SHA coordinator corresponds with all levels within KNH (Germany and In-Country) if needed, with regard to operational issues the SHA Coordinator corresponds mainly with the program coordinator level at KNH Germany.
The position requires frequent travelling, also to countries other than the home country.
- Support the management in the development and implementation of the Country Strategy in all dimensions (e.g. CRSA, administration and logistics)
- Support the management in the development of the Self Help Approach by analyzing available information and by identifying issues
- Orient existing and potential partners on SHA
- Monitor SHA partners and projects according to KNH standards, using KNH formats and tools
- Provide SHA trainings in accordance with the latest KNH modules
- Provide capacity building and support to partners, mainly in SHA but also in other areas relevant to the Country Strategy
- Report in line with KNH standards and formats
- Analyze and comment reports from partners, give feedback/recommendations , and follow up on those
- Conduct proposal discussions with partners
- Further tasks that are delegated by the Country Management in accordance with the ICC Handbook
- The Coordinator reports to the Self Help Manager
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience of working with civil society organizations in Nepal in the areas of women empowerment, poverty reduction, child rights, education etc.
- Good understanding of the rights-based approach in development work and of community based civil society organizations in Nepal, working with children and women.
- A bachelor-level degree in relevant fields of study such as Gender studies, International Development, Economics, Sociology, or other related field is preferred;
- Independent, mature, team player and can work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Working experience with international development agencies and support local partners is an asset;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Nepali and English; knowledge of regional languages of Terai is an asset.
- Willingness to frequently travel to remote and rural areas including overnight stays (Far West and Terai) in less comfortable settings. Physically fit to travel to remote areas and willing to work at flexible/odd hours;
- Willingness to travel to a KNH partner country to receive various training on the Self Help Approach for a duration of 2-3 weeks;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, e.g. Word, Excel, Power point and MS Access.
- KNH is a family-friendly organization with an aim to ensure work-life balance.
Qualified candidates from minorities, disadvantaged groups and women are highly encouraged to apply. Qualified women candidates will be preferred.
Shortlisting will be done on the basis of your answers while applying, please answer the questions carefully. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Telephone enquiries will not be entertained.