LOCATION: Triveni Rural Municipality Under MFWFO
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed-term
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
The Research Coordinator- Protecting Children from Migration for Labour in Nepal (MILAN) is responsible for leading the operational research component of the project. This pilot project targets 15-17-year-old adolescents with an aim to reduce the number of such children who work in harmful/hazardous work; increase the number of those who have a work that meets ‘decent work criteria’; increase investment by households’ in this age category; and improve family, community, school and local government environment to facilitate the realization of children’s right to protection, education and health.
The position holder will be responsible for the overall design and implementation of qualitative/quantitative research component including action research on case plan alternatives (as part of the Case Management of children in difficult situation) and push/pull factors for child labour; ensuring process documentation; assisting MEAL focal point in the regional field office to conduct baseline study and end line evaluation so as to form documented evidence on the lessons learned and strategies working well and areas of challenge in the local context. The position holder will need to work in close coordination with the existing integrated project and provide technical input in the operational research currently being implemented in the same geographic location.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Design the operational research in MILAN project including the details on methodology, final product, phased activities, timeline.
- Lead the information collection from the field, meetings with children, family members, local government representatives and other stakeholders as necessary.
- Ensure lessons learnt, challenges and case studies are documented in the project
- Ensure the documentation and data collection comply with the SC and donor requirements
- Regular field visits to the communities to observe the emerging trends and responses to the project interventions so as to identify any potential research and documentation needs
- Assist the Sr. MEAL Coordinator MFWO in carrying out the baseline study and endline evaluation of the MILAN Project
- To provide technical input to the research and documentation component in other project being implemented in the same project location
- Contribute to the periodic narrative reports to ensure the project achievements are well articulated and relevant case studies are included
- Other tasks as requested by the supervisor
- Support Save the Children Humanitarian responses where appropriate/if needed, ensuring timely and quality responses in line with international standards
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Master’s Degree in Statistics, Research Studies, Development Studies, Social Work, or related Social Sciences
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum 3 years (2 years for GSI group). Experience in research, and experience of working closely with the government will be an added advantage
- Skills to lead qualitative and quantitative research, including the design of the research
- Has ability to adopt innovation in the program
- Higher degree of taking initiatives and has ability to work independently
- Sound computer skills on word processing, power-point, and other basic computer software
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, able to work in short deadlines with intense pressure
- Proficiency in writing research report and document case studies, lesson learnt
- Strong interpersonal communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to prepare reports and documents in English and Nepali and perform communication with visitors in good manner
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures