TEAM/PROGRAM: Program Operations Department (POD), Health, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS
LOCATION: Rupandehi (VDC based)
Type of Contract: Fixed term till June 2018
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
The Fertility Awareness for Community Transformation (FACT) project is a research, intervention and technical assistance project based on answering significant questions related to fertility awareness and Fertility Awareness Based Methods (FAM). In Nepal, FACT will test two primary hypotheses “Increased fertility awareness among men and women improves reproductive health outcomes” and expanded access to FAM increases uptake of family planning. The FACT team will employ a systematic approach to testing these hypotheses through developing and testing an innovative solution to improve fertility awareness and increasing on FAM.
The Project Officer - FP FACT is responsible for supporting in planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting FACT related activities. S/he will support of implementation of solution “Pragati” (games on Fertility awareness, Family planning and social norms) to diffuse information about fertility awareness and family planning to individuals and community level particularly reaching hard-to-reach groups/communities. The project is about using materials that has been developed and streamlining use across government’s and Save the Children’s existing platforms in Nepal. In addition, s/he supports to district and community level health authorities and platforms (to be used for FACT project) to implement and monitor the FACT related activities. Likewise, s/he establishes and strengthens good coordination with government counterpart and other stakeholders in the district and region.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Planning, Implementation, Tracking and Reporting
- Support to develop detailed implementation plan (DIP) and phased budget of the project on annual basis for proper implementation and budget utilization on time
- Support to prepare work plan of the project period
- Make proper implementation of project activities and budget utilization as per DIP and phased budget
- Prepare monthly project tracking report and take corrective actions in case of more than 10% deviation
- Provide training and orientation to promotors, platforms, health facility staff and local level stakeholders and ensure their effective engagement in the project activities
- Coach and mentor promotors at community level in order improve their performances
- Track monthly progress of activities implemented and support for preparation of monthly report.
- Ensure fertility and family planning (FP) messages are diffused at individual and community level resulting into improved FP use.
- Works in team to implement all component of FACT project, components are: fertility and FP awareness - Pragati solution, Roving ANM and integration of Standard Days Method.
- Regularly monitor the activities conducted under FACT project and provide technical support to platforms for execution of the project activities
SBCC - Pragati Game Material
- Support in refinement of Pragati solution game materials and ensure its well distribution.
- Coach and mentor promotors and ensure its effective use Pragati games materials Facilitate the mobilization of existing platforms of Save the Children for SBCC activities
Documentation and Reporting
- Collect health facility data on monthly basis and report to the Senior PC - FP FACT
- Document each activities including case studies (includes project process, learning and results) conducted at local level
- Support in preparing Monthly report.
Coordination and Representation
- Establish and maintain strengthened function coordination with health facilities at rural municipalities government counterparts for smooth execution of and better synergy for the project activities
- Maintain functional coordination with rural municipalities and district level government counterparts and other stakeholders
- Coordinate FACT work with selected platforms into which activities will be integrated
- Represent FACT at village level health facilities and networks/platforms as necessary
Occasional Significant Duties
- Contributes to the process of developing plans, compiling reports and documentation.
- Ensure periodic evaluations of related programs.
- Compile and share pertinent technical and programmatic literature and information produced or found locally or globally with Save the Children teams and partners.
- Supporting Save the Children’s dual mandate of development programs as well as being the leader in emergency preparedness and response for children.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for him/herself and her team, takes responsibility for his/her own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares her/his personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with team, colleagues, Members and external counter partners and supporters.
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in health related discipline preferably in Public Health or Nursing
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 3 years (2 years for GSI group) of working experience in health projects/programs preferably at I/NGOs
- Experience on different dimensions of family planning and reproductive health would be an asset
- Ability to well communicate in local (Awadhi) language
- Ability to ride motorbike; must have a valid driving license
- Higher degree of taking initiatives and has ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, able to work in short deadlines with intense pressure
- Sound computer skills on Word Processing, Excel Spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and other basic computer software
- Strong interpersonal communication and coordination skills
- Reliable, trust worthy and committed
- Report writing and documentation
- Research & Survey
- Analytical skill
- Program development
- Advocacy & lobbying
- Representation and negotiation
- Resource mobilization
- Facilitation skills
- Analytical skill, collaboration and cooperation
- Monitoring and Evaluation
*GSI group include Female, Dalit, Madhesi, People with Disabilities and other indigenous/minorities