TEAM/PROGRAM: Program Operations
POST TYPE: National
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 - The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
In close coordination with the Field Manager, WASH Specialists/Managers and WASH Coordinators & Officers and partners the incumbent will ensure timely, high quality and results oriented program plans including strong monitoring systems are developed and applied at all levels in order to ensure all deliverables are finished on time.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Planning & Budgeting
- Leads the planning processes and ensures partners have quarterly detailed implementation plan including realistic phased budget outlining major activities and timeline for the funds allocated in required planning templates provided by the organization.
- Ensures appropriate fund allocation and expenditure on a monthly basis and take corrective measures by revisiting plans and communicating timely with WASH Specialist/Managers and project team.
- Reviews the project’s BVAs and transaction reports and report on any glitches identified in comparison to the Country Offices sent Program BVA.
- Coordinates with WASH Specialist and managers for technical assistance as required.
- Leads the revision of budgets during budget forecast and on exchange rate fluctuations as per organizational procedures.
- Be updated on latest WASH technical standard and policy developed and regulated by Department of Water Supply and Sewerage (DWSS) , integration of GESI and DRR in WASH.
- Coordinates with WASH Specialist and Managers to ensure WASH technical standards in design, planning and ensure the standards and policies were meet at all levels.
- Supervises and provides guidance to the project’s WASH team including partner in the planning, implementation and monitoring of programs and project plan as per the given guidelines.
- Guide team to ensure that all the Water Users Committees (WUC) are able to manage, maintain the supported water supply system after phasing out the project.
- Ensure all V-WASH-CC of working VDC are activated and will in well function.
- Ensure that all users are well aware on sanitation and hygiene behaviours as defined by Hygiene and Sanitation Master Plan and Total Sanitation guideline of the government of Nepal and initiated its practice in their daily life.
- Ensures that all action plans developed after project reviews, evaluations and assessments are followed up and completed by respective staffs on time.
- Identifies strengths and improvement areas of staff members and partners for quality delivery of the projects and comes up with plans to improve such gaps
- Ensures that OPMIS is well optimized for all themes at all levels - by partners, project team in the District and Field Offices and regular update is done
- Ensures incorporation of the cross cutting issues of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI)
Programme Operations & Management
- Ensures programmatic and financial accountability including tracking of program progress and budget expense in the use of funds and achievement of all related projects activities.
- Ensures that programs meet Minimum Operating Standards of key programmatic interventions including Gender and Social Inclusion principles.
- Supports and is responsible for the partnership in terms of compliance, zero tolerance, audits and management response, identification of capacity gaps and recommends for improvements.
- Ensures strong linkages and coordination among Regional Network Partnerships including those with line government agencies and officesReview project’s warehouse record and ensure the distribution of materials on time
Ensuring strong Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Ensure effective management of monitoring, evaluation and documentation, research and surveys of program activities;
- Ensure monitoring of project at District, partner and beyond PNGO are in place
- Ensures the MEAL plans of the project and themes is well familiar and understood by staff and partner staff of related themes, is exclusively used and reported.
- Ensure proper MEAL systems (MEAL plan, IPTT and Quality Benchmarks) are in place, understood and being used
- Is responsible to coordinate with MEAL for analysing data from OPMIS, identifying concerns or learnings and scaling up to WASH Specialist/MEAL or to partners as relevant that data from including development of Quality Benchmarks.
- Coordinates with Field and District teams including thematic focal person to design a robust field visit plan, self-assessments and monitoring systems including follow up on recommendations with relevant department and project team.
Innovation and Scale
- Identifies best practices, problems and issues around program implementation and works toward finding solutions for improvements, documenting, disseminating and in consultation with relevant departments and themes.
- Works with individuals and teams at all levels to encourage and facilitate operational research and materialize findings of all research and evaluations.
- Contributes towards developing and implementation of new ideas/innovations on WASH and its documentation of processes and its results.
Documentation & Reporting
- Is responsible for timely and quality reports preparation.
- Coordinates with project team and partner including MEAL to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of program activities and best practices.
- In close consultation with WASH Specialist and Managers, take initiatives in generating information that are required to add values in on-going programmes or for the programmes visualized for future
- Ensure proper documentation of the project including and not limited to learning, lessons learned, best practices, case studies. In this context coordinate with Media and Communication, Program Planning and Documentation unit to develop a documentation plan and dissemination at various levels.
- Ensure all donor and SCI reports meet time and quality standards
Representation and Networking
- Collaboration and coordination with government and non-government counterparts, external development partners and donors at regional level
- Is part of relevant regional networks and coalitions and ensures regional/district level networks is well represented as necessary
- Supports program areas to build strong networks with other NGOs, CSOs, UN agencies and Government line agencies working on children’s issues to promote coordination and resource sharing at the district level.
- Work with local and national government and other agencies, as relevant, to ensure SCI is compliant with all requirements.
- Ensure SCI’s voice is heard at relevant forums
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages team members to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates team members
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners, WASH sector agencies and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master Degrees in Civil Engineering, WASH Engineering, Rural Development, Sociology or equivalent.
- 7 years (5 years for GSI group) of job experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene especially in a managerial role including grants management
- Demonstrated significant experience in managing projects funded by multiple donors including networks.
- Prior experience in working with NGOs/civil societies and government counterparts
- Proven sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and be innovative, set priorities, manage work plans and evaluate progress.
- Good report writing skill.
- Good interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication skills.