No. of vacancies: 1 (One)
Duration: Annual Contract (long-term project up to 5 years)
Location: Kathmandu, following an initial 6-month assignment to Biratnagar
Reports to: Program Director with cross-functional reporting on specific responsibilities
Field Visits: Frequent travel to project areas in Provinces I and II
Core Function: Habitat Nepal seeks a pro-active and entrepreneurial leader who will be responsible for overseeing implementation of an innovative project focused on promoting safe, affordable, and durable house constructions utilizing treated bamboo in the eastern Terai. This person will provide direction and operational oversight to market-based strategies to increase the supply of treated bamboo for construction use and develop and test market demand for bamboo housing products. S/he will ensure timely delivery of project outcomes through well-organized coordination, frequent negotiations, and clear communications (oral and written) in English. S/he will also lead the development of new projects and strategies to engage market systems in providing housing solutions for low-income families in Nepal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee timely implementation of safe, durable bamboo housing project in coordination with the East Program Manager/Program Operations Manager.
- Design and implement communication/education, coordination and networking strategies to shape general perceptions towards bamboo and influence use of treated bamboo in housing constructions.
- Liase with appropriate government and private institutions and other actors to promote use of treated bamboo in housing construciton.
- Ensure that project targets are reached as per agreed project objectives and contract with donor and in line with the overall project approaches.
- Identify and assess delays, gaps, and needs with the partners’ teams and ensure adjustments and corrective actions are made to improve the overall quality of the project.
- Together with the East Office Manager/Program Operation Manager, maintain and strengthen links with related implementing partners, including donor and Government Authorities. Conduct planned monitoring and evaluation of the project, and produce required reports.
- Manage project finances according to budget and develop future budgets. Ensure resource requirements and manage resource availability & allocation in the project.Gather project information and prepare quarterly reports to for the donor.
- Under the oversight of the National Director, prepare and present project updates for the donor and the wider Habitat network.
- Contribute to concept note development, proposal writing and research related to the project.
- Responsible for designing and facilitating training related to project.
- Cross-functionally coordinate with the following project-related staff: Sr. Manager Financial Inclusion, Sr. Rsearch and MEAL Manager, Housing and Construction Technologies Manager Coordinate with other program initiatives that intersect with this project.
- With cross-functional management support from the Sr. Manager for Financial Inclusion, lead the design and oversee implementation of the market-based component of the project, such as: conducting market systems and value chain analyses of the supply of treated bamboo for construction purposes in the Eastern Terai; identifying interventions to improve and strengthen supply-side delivery; and designing and testing new bamboo housing products among low-income housing markets of the eastern terai.
- Manage project activities such as: coordinating with internal staff involved in implementation, overseeing external consultants, collaborating with partner organizations, and contributing to management plans.
- Manage project staff such as the Market Systems Manager.
- Build capacity of project teams to implement Habitat Nepal’s market systems approach.
- Over time, increasingly contribute to identifying new opportunities in market systems that could be promoted by Habitat Nepal.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to new business opportunities, develop proposal content and serve as technical or contributing writer or subject matter expert.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Entrepreneurial, pro-active, innovative and analytical.
- Results-driven with highly developed interpersonal skills, excellent oral presentation and written skills in both English and Nepali Language.
- Able to work effectively in cross-cultural settings; can effectively negotiate and coordinate across cultures.
- Experienced in developing market systems approaches, communications or educational campaigns that have been effective in changing perceptions and practices.
- Proven ability to proactively manage workloads and multiple priorities efficiently and with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher) and other relevant software particularly for data analysis and visualization.
Education Qualification, Professional Experience:
- A University Degree in Communications, Business, Adult Education or related field required. Master’s Degree or MBA preferred.
- At least 4 years of experience in leading the design and implementation of market systems development or market-based programs. Work experience in a managerial role is desired.
- Understanding of affordable housing markets and government housing programs in Nepal is a plus.
In accordance with its foundational mission principles, Habitat for Humanity International is committed to the highest ethical standards and opposes all forms of discrimination, exploitation, and abuse. Our intent is to create and maintain a work and life environment that is safe, productive, and respectful for our colleagues and for all we serve.
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an equal opportunity organization. Women, persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantage communities and local candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps in recruitment. Habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without assigning any reasons whatsoever.