TEAM/PROGRAMME: Heatlh & Nutrition / Maternal & Child Survival Program (MCSP)
CONTRACT LENGTH: Until 31 March 2019
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invested over 35 million US dollars in 2014 to reach more children than ever before, through programs in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
In Health theme, Save the Children works to increase child survival by working with partners to decrease preventable deaths. Maternal & Child Survival Program (MCSP) is a multi-partner, flagship program in support of USAID's priority goal of preventing child and maternal deaths and focus on increasing the coverage and utilization of high-quality reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health interventions at the household, community and health facility levels.
With backstopping from Manager MCSP and Sr MEAR Coordinator, the job holder will be responsible to undertake activities of MCSP including pilot project in Kavre. He/She will be responsible to coordinate with partner and government counterparts in relation to the project. He/She will also be responsible to conduct field visits, provide onsite monitoring and coaching to partners and beneficiaries in the field. He/She will be accountable to tasks of MCSP and will report to Manager – MCSP for guidance and advice.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
Program Support (LOE 70%)
- With backstopping from MCSP Manager, work to implement all four components of SC Nepal's Maternal and Child Survival Program
- Develop Project implementation plan and implementation approaches
- Mentor, coach project partner team members in implementation modality and approaches
- Work with Field Offices and related teams for smooth project implementation
- Work closely with Field Office, Operations team and Thematic Advisor to deal with government counterparts and stakeholders in the best interest of the program and organization
- Prepare and oversee projects implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Prepare timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Identify program supplies needs and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan.
- Plan proper data management and coordinate with MEAL team to keep track of the MEAL plan for your projects, ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity build technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- Conduct field visits to program areas to support implementation partner teams in the field
- Work and coordinate with National Health Training Center (NHTC), Family Welfare Division, MoH and other stake holders in the center for smooth implementation of programs
Capacity Building (LOE 10%)
- Develop capacity building plans for both SC and partner staff, linking capacity building initiatives to wider opportunities identified via coordination and networks.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to partner staff ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance and development.
Coordination and Liaison (LOE 20%)
- Coordination and liaison with Ministry of Health and relevant division for any operation issues
- Coordination and liaison with Ministry of Health for any joint visit in implementation areas
- Coordinate with field site’s district health offices, paalikas and relevant government counterparts
- Coordinate with referral hospitals and working sites in the working district
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Master of Public Health or related field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least three years of relevant experience
- Understands basic concept of public health projects including pilot testing and operational research
- Understands the basic concept of public health data analysis
- Trained in CB/FB IMNCI
- Experienced in Newborn Health program