TEAM/PROGRAMME: Program Operation Department, Health, Nutrition & HIV/AIDS
LOCATION: Country Office, Kathmandu
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed-term
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reach approximately two million population and invest over 30 million US dollars annually to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in Health and Nutrition, Education, Child Rights and Governance and Child Protection, Child Poverty, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian.
The postholder is responsible for managing Health Insurance program at national and district/municipality level with collaboration and partnership with Government, donor partners and Non-Government Organizations. S/he closely coordinates with Health Insurance Board and development partners to provide technical inputs in designing, implementing, monitoring and revising health insurance policy, programs, and strategies in Nepal. In addition, the position holder takes accountability in day-to-day operations and management activities of the project and ensures timely monitoring, implementation and monitoring of the project activities (both implementation with government and partners). Moreover, S/he provides technical inputs in H&N related program design, research, surveys and monitoring as per the requirement.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Provide strategic, managerial and technical support to “Strengthening Health Security Schemes in Nepal” funded by MISEREOR to improve the access of vulnerable children and families on social protection in health through effective implementation of national health security schemes (health insurance program) of government of Nepal
- Work in close coordination with Health Insurance Board and development partners to provide technical support in designing, implementing and revising health insurance policy, programs, strategies in Nepal along with providing inputs to national plan of action and programs of HIB
- Engage with government and implementing partners on health insurance policy discussion, development, reformation, dissemination and publication
- To provide technical inputs to government and development partners in key aspects of health insurance design and implementation: enrolment strategies, premium rates, benefit packages to ensure appropriate risk pooling, cross subsidization required to pursue universal health coverage
- To support health insurance related IEC/BCC production, printing and distribution in project target districts of MISEREOR to increase awareness of the people on importance of health security and influence enrolment into the scheme
- Support in roll-out of social health insurance program in the agreed districts with HIB (Bardiya, Mohattari, Sarlahi, Banke, Dhading)
- To support in capacity building of the government staffs in management of health security scheme and strengthen the health insurance program through joint monitoring, program reviews and workshops
Managerial and financial responsibilities
- Manage the project (interventions, finances and human resources) in line with the approved project documents in consultation with supervisor and ensure quality results
- Oversee day-to-day operations and management of activities for each of the project components-ensuring coordination between the team members in different components- to ensure that all components are in tandem.
- Maintain regular communication with donor for both technical and operational aspects of the project
- Ensure timely planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and documentation/reporting of the project activities
- Monitor the financial expenditure regularly and ensure adequate burn rate of the project funds with support from finance department
- Identify and manage national consultants providing short term technical assistance to project activities, as planned and when required
Documentation, reporting, research and learning
- Ensure that all donor reports required by Save the Children are produced on time and are of a consistently high quality
- Organize learning and knowledge sharing events at district and national level
- Take lead in program progress documentation, evaluation and research and dissemination of achievements and lessons learned with wider stakeholders
- Provide technical inputs in ongoing surveys, operational research under Health and Nutrition theme as per necessary and requirement
- Represent health insurance program at national and international level, as and when required
- Support Health and Nutrition team for smooth operation and quality results as and when required
- Update SC CO, H&N theme, government counterparts and EDPs about the project progress, challenges, way forward and sustainability approaches of the key achievements
Occasional Significant Duties:
- Represent SC within regional, national and international forum as per need
- Work as a resource person with different external visitors
- Participate in strategic planning process
- Work as team member in an emergency situation
- Support Save the Children’s dual mandate of development programs as well as being the leader in emergency preparedness and response for children.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Master of Public Health (specialization in health economics preferred ) with health science background (public health, nursing or medicine)
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least three years of progressive work experience in health projects at managerial capacity in INGO/Bilateral/Multilateral agencies (two years for GSI group). Experience in health economics/health financing/health insurance will be an asset.