TITLE: Program Officer
REPORTS TO: Governance Director
1. SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Officer (PO) will provide support to The Asia Foundation (the Foundation) Nepal on all climate change and climate resilience-related issues, and in integrating climate change/adaption throughout the Foundation’s programs. The PO will be responsible for ensuring that the internal climate change and adaptation strategy is fully designed, implemented, and monitored to attain its objectives. The PO will also work as a point of contact for climate change and adaptation issues and will be responsible for arranging regular internal and external meetings, conducting research and analysis, report writing, stakeholder analysis, and keeping the Nepal office abreast of key policies and trends on climate change. The officer will play an important role in cross-office coherence (within Nepal and in the region), as well as coordination with regional priorities given Nepal's unique environment and the downstream impacts of climate change on the region.
Contact with all staff within the Foundation’s Nepal offices.
Regular contact with grantees, independent contractors, government officials and agencies in Nepal, bilateral and multi-lateral development agencies, business sector and civil society organizations, professional organizations, and academic and other local institutions.
- Master’s degree in environmental science, development studies, public policy, law, or other relevant disciplines.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in development assistance, environmental, government, academia, or business sector.
Knowledge about current affairs in climate change and the environment. Past working experiences and knowledge about governance and peacebuilding in relation to climate change are preferred. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in English and Nepali, and ability to harmoniously interact with people from a variety of cultural and professional backgrounds. Experience working outside of Kathmandu preferred. Proficient computer skills which help to understand climate change-related data. Time management skills. Ability to work under pressure and multitask. Analytical and writing skills. Attention to detail. Willingness to travel to districts across the country. Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
4. JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide necessary inputs and act as principal liaison to develop a strategy paper with an action plan on climate change for the Foundation’s Nepal office, as well as support its carbon-neutral plan, monitoring, and learning.
- Serve as a responsible officer for integrating climate change and adaptation actions throughout country programs, advancing office coherence priorities.
- Compile lessons learned and program results related to climate change, environment, and/or biodiversity across the Foundation's Nepal portfolio on an annual basis.
- Conduct desk reviews (including policy review) on climate change and write a concise report and present them to the internal team.
- Monitor strategic partnership opportunities to expand the Foundation’s network of influence and impact across relevant portfolios in climate change and governance-related work.
- Identify the major stakeholders and build relationships.
- Arrange meetings, workshops, and seminars on climate-related issues relevant to the Foundation’s work, as needed.
- Liase with regional environment, governance, and conflicts technical teams across the region. Provide technical input as required to these teams.
- Draft periodic reports either for the purpose of the Foundation’s internal reporting or for donor’s reporting requirements.
- Manage and monitor healthy partnerships with organizations receiving funding related to climate change or the environment, and support them to submit quantitative and qualitative indicator data, as required.
- Provide administrative and logistical assistance, i.e. travel arrangements, events/ training/ workshop organizing and management.
- Assist in the publication of any materials that will be produced by the the Foundation's Nepal office.
- Compliance with all Foundation and donor policies, procedures and practices when carrying out all activities.
- Contribute to developing new programming ideas on climate change and adaptation.
- Fulfill all the financial documentation and requirements needed to run the activities in compliance with the Foundation's financial policies and practices.
- Manage the filing system (i.e. consultants’ contracts, grant agreements, grant/ contract amendments) both in electronic and hard copy format.
- Following the Foundation policies and practices, ensure that all financial documentation related to project activities is prepared, updated, and settled including supporting documents.
- Contact with donors, experts, civil society, and academicians on behalf of the Foundation and arrange meetings.
- Participate in meetings and events with development partners, governments, and civil society organizations as assigned.
- Contribute to articles, written materials, and documentation for publication.
- Participate in Foundation meetings and other relevant professional forums and events within Nepal and regionally.
- Serve on the Foundation's internal Green Team in Nepal and global climate community of practice.
- Provide support to other ongoing programs and activities of the Foundation as may be necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by the Country Representative or designate.