SaMi (phase III)
Duty Station: Ministry of Labour Employment and Social Security (MoLESS), Singhadurbar and Foreign Employment Board, Babarmahal
Reporting to: Joint Secretary MoLESS (SaMi focal point)
This position is responsible to act as bridge between Ministry of Labour Employment and Social Security (MoLESS) and SaMi Project in relation to coordination and sharing the information and learning from local, state federal and international level for necessary policy reforms. This position will have an important role to provide technical input/assistance to the MoLESS in developing relevant policies and guidelines to improve migrants’ protection within the federal setup and ensure that SaMI’s experience feeds into this policy dialogue. The position will also be responsible to support to the smooth functioning of the National Migration Resource Center (NMRC) based at the Foreign Employment Board (FEB), up to a working time of fifty percent.
1. Compliance of Policies, Guidelines and Manuals
- Compliance with the Government of Nepal and Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) policies and approaches as relevant and required.
- Adhere to relevant policies, procedures, regulations and guidelines of HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation Nepal (Personnel, Financial, Administrative policy manual; Security Response Guide; Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Guide; Sexual Harassment and Mobbing Policy; Code of Conduct Against Corruption, etc.) and other specific policies applicable for the SaMi);
- Contribute to Conflict Sensitive Programme Management at all levels;
2. Technical Assistance for Policy Formulation
- Support MoLESS to assist Local Governments to implement the Foreign Employment component according to the Local Government Operation Act;
- Make sure that the SaMi team at PSU Kathmandu and at the field are updated about changes of policies at MoLESS and other concerned Ministries and Departments related to labour migration;
- Contribute in the process of developing model laws and guidelines for three tyre government to address Foreign Employment aspect (if applicable);
- Support MoLESS to be updated on latest development around international policies and trend and good practices of Foreign Employment and migration governance.;
- Take stock of existing laws, rules, regulations, guidelines, procedures related with foreign employment sector and share the relevant aspects with MoLESS Officials and project team as required;
- Take learnings (cases/patterns) from SaMi team on how the laws/regulations/guidelines encouraging/discouraging certain practices in relation to foreign employment and exchange it with policy makers;
- Make use of SaMi learning to design and implement interventions related to safer migration at federal and provincial level influencing bureaucratic and political policy makers;
- Be updated on various inter-governmental regional/global consultative processes and inform senior government officials about the importance of and engagement in such platforms;
- Help in ensuring a common understanding and joint voice of MoLESS, FEB and SaMi/PSU in relation to safer migration issues and project implementation and achieving project result;
- Ensure smooth function of NMRC including support and standardize the MRCs and its function in all 77 districts and share the learning and database of NMRC to the federal, provincial and local governments as appropriate.
3. Support to NMRC Functioning
- Support FEB staff in charge of running the NMRC in defining priorities and work processes;
- Contribute to the good collaboration between the NMRC and other relevant institutional actors;
- Support the NMRC in establishing regular collaboration with and support to local level MRCs;
- Support the NMRC in defining processes for relevant information collection, data management and sharing;
- Advise and contribute to the development of priority trainings, guidelines, publications.
4. Monitoring and Knowledge Management
- Make sure that the PSU Monitoring and Evaluation Officer receives sufficient information from MoLESS to develop periodic report of SaMi;
- Participate in the joint monitoring including with MoLESS team to make field/monitoring visit of the SaMi program in the local levels and provide constructive feedback to the project;
5. Capacity Building
- Support in capacity building of MoLESS/DoFE/FEB/SaMi PSU and other concerned Ministries/Departments on Foreign Employment sector;
6. Coordination, Collaboration and Networking
- Work as a Coordinator and facilitator between MoLESS and SaMi Project and other relevant Ministries and Departments;
- Be in regular contact with Team Leader and collaborate with SaMi management team including the Provincial Coordinators to update latest policy changes;
- Participate in SaMi/PSU key meetings (weekly team meetings and strategic discussions);
- Collaborate with Migration Advisor at PSU and NMRC focal person in FEB to strengthen NMRC as well as to support in developing policy papers targeting regional consultative platforms;
In order to support the Migration Expert to effectively play his/her role, there should be regular coordination between SaMi Team Leader and MoLESS to agree on the priority tasks of the Expert.
Required Education, Experience and Competencies
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field with minimum of 7 years of working (migration governance and related development sector) experience with the government of Nepal or non-government organization in the relevant field.
Experience and competencies:
- Excellent knowledge, analysis and exposure at national and international level around the issue of foreign employment
- Extensive knowledge on national and international foreign employment policies
- Experience working with the government and non-government stakeholders in the sector of foreign employment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly in government sector
- Excellent research and analytical skill
- Good influencing/lobbying capacity
- Good contact with the relevant stakeholders at national level
- Experience in stakeholder engagement
- Good knowledge of information management
- Excellent English and Nepali written and spoken skill
- Sensitive to poverty, cultural diversity, gender equality and social inclusion
- Good team player and effective communicator
- IT: Proficiency in using office application software; ability to produce, understand and analyse standard database reports; and efficiency in using communication application
Project duration: 15 July 2022
Interested candidates who meet above requirements are requested to visit our website at http://apply.helvetas.org.np and submit application through the online portal. Detail job description is available in the website.
Telephone enquiries will not be entertained. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the further screening process. Helvetas Nepal reserves the right to reject any or all applications without assigning any reasons.
Helvetas Nepal promotes workforce diversity and applies positive discrimination to women candidates and candidates from Dalit, Janajati, Madhesi/Terai, and other minority communities.