Volunteers Initiative Nepal (VIN) has recently established a new library at Narayansthan Secondary School in Okhladunga, Nepal. We Tomorrow funds this library in partnership with Osterhaus Consulting.
The Librarian cum Children’s Learning Activity Facilitator provides a holistic learning environment for children ages 5 – 10 and 10+ years. This position focuses on facilitating interactive learning through various cognitive lesson plans.
The goal is to use both the physical and online environments to educate and train our youth for a brighter tomorrow.
The library provides the resources needed to enhance our children’s potential growth. The facilitator will utilize the library to create a unique learning atmosphere where interactive storytelling, games, and computer activities build critical learning skills for:
- Using the resources available in the library;
- Understanding the world around them and comprehending their place within it;
- Increased memory retention and a deeper awareness of detailed information; and,
- Develop problem-solving skills and create the basic building blocks for becoming a creative leader.
Role description: (Library Section)
- Collect and catalog library resources, including books, films, and publications and organize resources in an easily accessible manner.
- Help children locate reference and leisure reading materials.
- Maintain library records and ensure it is updated.
- Perform regular audits of the information and inventory on file.
- Educate users on how to search for information using the library databases properly.
- Oversee the check-out process for books and other resource materials.
- Clarify the use of library amenities and provide information about library policies.
- Make sure the library meets the needs of specific groups of users, including parents.
- Understand general library practices and the practices of the specific library we have created for.
- Respond to requests in person and locate information.
- Teach a variety of skills to students, particularly research skills.
- Manage the library to ensure it is clean, and books are appropriately checked in/out.
- Keep up with information management trends.
Children’s Learning Activity Facilitation
- Create unique hands-on activities through games, reading, storytelling, and drawing that build on children’s knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Facilitate Saturday online English language learning activities with the help of international volunteers.
- Facilitate e-learning classes by developing computer and internet skills.
- Maintain computers to ensure that they are always in working condition.
- Track student progress and identify areas for improvement.
- Identify learning disabilities (physically and mentally) and develop alternate training for those students.
- Educate and train youth and parents on the library’s books, computers, and other resources.
- Visit the parents in the catchment communities to raise awareness of the library's existence and invite them to use the resources during public holidays.
- Identify areas to improve the program.
- Organize fundraiser activities required to run the library.
- Identify local community people and train them to run library and its activities.
- Encourage, motivate youth to volunteer for library activities.
- Master’s in Education / Humanities and Library Science training/education preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working in a public library.
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge of library databases.
- Motivated to serve the rural community of Narayansthan of Okhaldhunga.
- An interest in literature, being organized, friendly and approachable.
- An interest in working with the children 5 to 10, 10+ age group, and adults.
- A commitment to a continuous learning process.
- Ability to develop yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily lesson plans that educate through interactive learning, e.g., storytelling, organizing games, quizzes, writing activities, etc.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent English and Nepali language skills
Working Station: Narayansthan Secondary School, Asine, Okhaldhunga.
Starting date: Mid May, 2022
Duration: Initially one year and extendable
Salary & benefits: Rs. 45,000 to 60,000 including facilities based on education, skills and experience.
This job has expired.