TEAM/PROGRAMME: Global Fund
LOCATION: Nepal County Office, Kathmandu
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed term grant
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 1: the post holder will not have contact with children and/or young people, or access to personal data about children or young people, as part of their work; therefore a police check will not be mandatory for this post unless the content of the post changes, in which case the Child Safeguarding level should be reviewed.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invests over 40 million US dollars annually to reach more children than ever before, through programs in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
The Laboratory Specialist is responsible for ensuring that Government entities namely Epidemiology and Disease Control Division (EDCD), National Center for AIDS and STD Control (NCASC), and National Tuberculosis Center (NTC) perform all the laboratory related activities of HIV, Malaria and TB as per the national protocols and standards and make sure that the laboratory units related to all three entities are functioning well. He/she will closely work with National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL) for laboratory related activities for all three disease.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Prepares Laboratory related Standard Operating Procedures to be followed by Sub recipients of Save the Children that are involved in diagnosis of HIV, TB and Malaria either in Community based or in facility based.
- Supports the respective entities (EDCD, NTC, NCASC and NPHL) for the preparation of Laboratory related SOPs for the diagnosis, monitoring and infection control of HIV, TB and Malaria.
- Works very closely with the in-charges of laboratory units/ personnel of respective disease entities and helps in their capacity building aligning with the national strategies for all three diseases
- Works very closely with the Microbiologists stationed in National Tuberculosis Centre (NTC) and supports in the laboratory related activities in the Prevalence Survey.
- Works very closely with the laboratory unit of NTC and supports in smooth functioning of Microscopic Centres and GeneXpert sites
- Helps strengthen the role of NPHL as a national reference laboratory for HIV, TB and Malaria
- Support in Calibration of different equipment being used in HIV, TB and Malaria laboratories such as CD4 count machines; Viral load monitoring machines; GeneXperts; PCRs used in Malaria, Safety Cabinets etc.
- Supports National Public Health Laboratory in use of GeneXperts and DBS/DPS cards for HIV Viral load Monitoring
- Regularly monitors Microscopic centres (both for TB and Malaria) across regional, district and peripheral health facilities, GeneXpert sites, CD4 Count centres, Viral load Unit in Seti Zonal Hospital, PCR labs for Malaria in VBDRTC and different hospitals and supports in smooth operation of these sites
- Works very closely with Microbiologist stationed in VBDRTC and supports in strengthening molecular diagnosis of Malaria through PCR at VBDRTC as well as Kathmandu.
- Works very closely with staff members of National HIV reference laboratory unit of NPHL and supports in the operation of CD4, viral load machines, EID monitoring and strengthening of HIV EQAS, functioning of the reference lab and PCR for malaria.
- Work closely with PSM staff of Save the Children country office and respective government partners to finalize specifications for all the laboratory related test kits and reagents and Preparation of Annual Maintenance Contract (AMCs) of all the laboratory related equipment in each of the entities.
- Maintain cordial and professional relationship with the government partners.
- Provide updates about latest and new diagnostics in the field of HIV, TB and Malaria.
- Train, coach and mentor incumbent laboratory staff stationed at government entities, and peripheral service delivery points (SDPs) to enhance their existing diagnostic capacity
- Provide technical assistance to NPHL through laboratory working group
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Microbiology or Laboratory Technology or related disciplines
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience in Government, NGO or INGO sector.
- Thorough understanding of acts, regulations and procedures of National Public Health Laboratory System
- Experience serving as a coach or mentor to local stakeholders to build capacity
- Excellent computer skills (MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Advanced level oral and written English and Nepali proficiency.
- Knowledge of National Laboratory System
- Project management skills involving multiple stakeholders