In response to the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Nepal on April 25, the American Red Cross is seeking an experienced Head of Programs to work with our partner, the Nepal Red Cross (NRC), in the recovery operation. The earthquake recovery operation aims to build community resilience through an integrated approach under a disaster risk reduction framework that includes primarily shelter and livelihoods options, which are linked to water, sanitation, hygiene and health strategies, using community mobilization while strengthening the Nepal Red Cross at the National Headquarters (NHQ) and Chapter levels.
The American Red Cross (ARC) is seeking an experienced Head of Programs to work with our partner, the Nepal Red Cross, develop and carry out the implementation of high-quality programs while ensuring programmatic integration and impact across all programs and projects in the Nepal. In addition, the Head of Programs will facilitate learning, sharing, and use of good practices throughout the programs in collaboration with ARC National Headquarters and Red Cross/Red Crescent partners. ARC works in the following program areas: disaster management; sheltering; water and sanitation; livelihoods; community-based health & disease prevention; organizational development; disaster risk reduction; as well as on the monitoring of programs funded by ARC but implemented by Red Cross and non-Red Cross partners. The Head of Programs will coordinate and represent ARC programs at the senior level with Red Cross Movement and non-Movement partners, international organizations, government entities, the media, and other coordinating bodies.
The Head of Programs will be based in Kathmandu, Nepal with 50% of time spent in new project implementation sites to be determined and developed within the earthquake-affected areas. The Head of Programs will play a key role in the development of ARC-supported programs in the Nepal. The position will report directly to the Country Representative and maintains an integrated, collaborative relationship with the Asia, Middle East, and Europe (AMEE) Regional Quality & Learning Unit, Regional Representative, and other relevant staff in the region to ensure consistent and standardized use of best practices and processes. The Manager will also maintain an active and collaborative relationship with the NHQ-based Program Officer, and through the PO with other NHQ-based technical support units. The Head of Programs may have additional responsibilities depending on programmatic developments in the operation.
The Head of Programs’ responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the programs in accordance with the strategic direction of the organization
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization and comply with all relevant legislative and professional standards
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Host National Society, the Nepal Red Cross (NRC) to coordinate with and support NRC’s implementation of programs
- Proactively seek out and work with Partner National Societies (PNS) and National Societies (NS) in the Global Red Cross Network on joint cooperation agendas
- Develop forms and additional tools as needed to document program activities
- Ensure impact-oriented, sustainable project results within project scope, budget, and timeframe by performing regular program reviews, organizing value-added trainings, monitoring budgets, and reporting.
- Manage and mentor ARC-funded local staff and the National Society staff for programs being implemented in various sites in the country, and provide support to all ARC and Nepal Red Cross (NRC) project staff in achieving project goals
- Ensure all staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organizational standards
- Work in an interdisciplinary fashion with the finance, M&E and program staff to design, plan, implement, and monitor all projects within the delegation with approved documentation
- Provide support to all project staff in ensuring that integration and cross-cutting themes are considered in interventions at all levels, especially in project design, budgets, work plans, and trainings
- Direct project teams in the design and development of concept papers, proposals and partnerships. Manage the internal and external proposal submission and review process at the delegation, National HQ, and RCRC levels, as well as to a timely movement of proposals through the entire process
- Proactively seek funding and be able to write proposals and design projects
- Coordinate and communicate with Country Representative on strategic issues, relationships, and operations of the delegation.
- Develop reports on the program for management
- Ensure that the programs operate within the approved budget
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures and ensure all financial records for the program are up to date
- Monitor cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to the Country Director on a regular basis (monthly/bimonthly)
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance in financial reports and supporting documentation for funders are prepared as outlined in funding agreements
- Provide required information to have invoices generated and submitted to funders according to the established timelines
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas for improvement and risks
- Monitor the program activities on a regular basis, and recommend changes to enhance the program as appropriate, conduct an annual evaluation according to the program evaluation framework
- Provide additional program support and management duties as requested by the Country Representative