LOCATION: Nepal Country Office, Kathmandu
CONTRACT LENGTH: January to December 2017
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invested over 29 million US dollars in 2012 to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
S/he is responsible to manage overall financial systems of Global Fund MSA grant under the guidance of Chief of Party (CoP)-Global Fund MSA Grant. Ensures the full compliance and meeting the requirement of GFATM. Provides the guidance, support and build the capacity of staff and partners organizations in different countries of South Asia (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka) to manage fund efficiently and also to comply with donors requirements. Identifies areas for support and improvement and ensures follow up mechanism is in place to meet and maintain the standard and operational efficiency of Save the Children and donors. Supervise and manage staff. Visits (approximately 30% of total time) program countries partners (SRs) to provide coaching, monitoring and technical support. Coordinates for internal and external audits of grant and takes action on recommendations. S/he will be expected to harness a working environment which encourages team work, energy and creativity. Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and project proposals.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Planning and Budgeting
- Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources, in accordance with Save the Children International and Global Fund rules and regulations.
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks, especially financial, related to delivering the MSA Grant and develop the mitigation plans.
- Budgets preparation/modification, reprogramming, monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits both in PR and SRs.
- Regular monitoring the sub-recipient budgets in terms of savings, and commitments.
- Ensure overall due diligence and appropriate controls in all fiscal management operations.
- Contracts negotiations with SC/US, The Global Fund/LFA, GoN, SRs, and consultancy agreements and provide guidance to strengthen planning and budgeting and its monitoring; and provide guidance and training to Finance and non-finance staff to ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- As Per SCI’s policy, proceed with monthly phasing of budgets in order to keep proper control over the program activities.
- Develop and ensure appropriate coding structures and proper charging in GFATM, MSA Grant.
Financial Accounting, Reporting, and Control
- Review for accuracy all financial reports generated from the Agresso system and prepare monthly update on the budget variance analysis.
- Ensure up-to-date tracking of Global Fund, MSA Grant reporting requirements in project financial and management tracking and reporting tools.
- Compile PU/DRs and EFRs in coordination with Program, M&E, PSM and submit to donor and LFA within prescribed deadlines.
- Proceed at the end of each month with reimbursing the Country Office and the Center with expenses disbursed on behalf of the Global Fund, MSA Grant.
- Ensure sufficient fund management to run overall Program/Operations including SRs.
- Ensure the timely payment to staff and parties.
- Ensure staff benefits are calculated with accuracy and timely disbursed (includes, salary, fringe, insurance, retirement funds, tax assessment etc) as per outlined in personnel policy.
- Liaise with the Project Team, LFA, auditors, CCM, OIG, Global Fund Finance and SRs to keep update on the progress, compliance, due diligence issues, challenge and improvement.
- Maintain support documents for LFA review and verification and audits.
- Close watch on currency conversion trend and recommend appropriate measures to management
Sub-Recipients Management, Monitoring and Capacity Building
- Develop and keep a plan to monitor sub recipients ensuring adequate management of grants per Save the Children and donor requirements.
- Ensure that SR’s programmatic activities are implemented and have the appropriate support from the Administration and Finance staff.
- Ensure the timely fund disbursement to SRs.
- Review all reports from sub-recipients and support team to compile them for submission, ensuring quality to be able to use them for donor reporting purposes along with monitoring of the programs.
- Develop and implement a training package for all sub-recipients to ensure accurate: Reporting and SRs Monitoring.
- Work closely with the Procurement, Program and M&E team for quarterly or semi-annual reviews of SRs progress and implementation
- Ensure the compliance with SRs and prepare and update the SRs Risk Management Plan on semi-annual basis.
Grant’s Compliance Support
- Ensure the overall finance function, compliance with GAAP, SCI, SC/US, GoN, donor/the Global Fund accounting and financial reporting requirements. Regular coach/train all concerned staffs on compliance and local laws.
- Ensure that all expenses reported periodically to the Global Fund are eligible according to the grant agreement.
- Maintain, through self- and formal training, reading and exchanges a broad and deep understanding of Global Fund policies, regulations and procedures.
- Oversees follow up on finance-related audit actions for the PR and SRs and monitors implementation of audit recommendations.
- Ensures SCI accounting policies and procedures are followed and adequately applied to program’s operations.
- Set internal policies, processes, and control systems to ensure financial data is captured adequately and accurately.
- Develops internal controls, work plans and checklists as needed at PR and SR levels.
- Develop and submit the Project Agreement to Social Welfare Council (SWC) for the approval.
- Ensure the visa of international staff.
- Undertake additional tasks as defined by management team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters degree in Accounting and/or Finance required. ACCA/CA is preferable.
- Minimum of 8 years’ budgeting/accounting/finance experience with Global Fund as a donor required (at least 5 years with INGO overseeing multi-million dollar programs)
- Knowledge of GFATM financial policies, guidelines and SOPs.
- Willing to travel internationally at least 30% of working time.
- Strong budgeting/accounting/finance skills.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to make independent decisions, while keeping supervisor appraised of important matters.
- Computer fluency; Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and accounting software Agresso is a must.
- Good English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong personal organizational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Commitment to Save the Children’s values, vision and mission.