GM will be responsible for overseeing managerial and contractual aspects of the Company while also supporting the Technical Director on all technical matters. More specifically, the duties and responsibilities of the GM include the following:
Establish Project Organization / Company (Staff, Office, and facilities)
- In conjunction with the Managing Director, develop the Company’s strategy and oversee the implementation of the Company’s long- and short-term plans in accordance with its strategy
- Ensure that the Company is appropriately organized and staffed to enable it to function effectively to implement the approved strategy for achieving the desired results.
- Review and suggest required changes in organization structure to BoD for ensuring effective and efficient operation of the Company and the Project.
- Ensure appropriate documentation of job descriptions of employees and performance targets of key personals
- Be responsible for the delivery of overall results of the Company and ensure for attainment of company's objectives.
- Execute all decisions and instructions of MD and/or the BoD and execute all works based on the Memorandum and Articles of Associations of the Company.
Formulate and get Board approval for implementation of Rule Manuals for:
- General Administration
- Accounts and expenditure.
- Human Resource & Staff recruitment
- Management Information System and proper control mechanisms. Ensure proper implementation as well as fulfill responsibilities as detailed in such manuals.
- Ensure that the Directors are properly informed and that sufficient information is provided to the Board to enable the Directors to form appropriate judgments.
- Ensure effective Management Information System within the organization for providing timely and up-to-date information for quality progress monitoring and decision making.
- Evaluate the organization’s and the staff’s performance on a regular basis
- Work and communicate with local and national authorities as necessary with regard to all technical (in close coordination with Technical Director) and commercial matters of the company.
- In carrying out the executive roles and in seeking and getting approvals for strategies, plans, and programs, and reporting on progress and important issues, GM will be accountable to the BoD through the MD.
- Any other work relating to office establishment and operation.
Oversee Financial Management
- Prepare Business Plan in coordination with Technical Director and MD for approval by the Company Board. Run the company within the approved Business plan.
- Prudently manage the organization's resources within budget guidelines according to company by-laws and other applicable laws and regulations.
- Prepare strategies and appropriate and cost-effective financing plan for mobilization of resources from shareholders and financial institutions.
- Ensure that appropriate procedures are followed in financial transactions and that their accounting is in compliance with applicable accounting standards.
- Provide prompt, thorough, and accurate information to keep the Board appropriately informed of the organization’s financial position.
- Maintain proper financial MIS systems enabling MD and BoD to have periodic and timely information on all important financial aspects of the company
Ensure Proper Operation & Maintenance of Plant through Assistance Support to Plant Manager
- Through the Plant Manager and in coordination with Technical Director, ensure proper and efficient operation of the power plant including setting up standard operating procedures and safety measures
- Through the Plant Manager and in coordination with Technical Director, ensure timely and proper management of spare parts (planning, procuring & proper inventory management) for the smooth operation of the plant.
- Through the Plant Manager and in coordination with Technical Director, ensure the development of Operation and Maintenance systems and Structure as per best industry standards and also comply with statutory requirements
- Plant Manager and in coordination with Technical Director, ensure site provisions for employee occupational safety and health programs.
- Visit the Plant site in Salleri at least once a month.
- Liaise with and obtain support from Plant vendors, especially Andritz Hydro Austria/India for smooth operation and maintenance of Plant.
Any other work (in line with GENERAL MANAGER’S skill and expertise) that Employer may assign from time to time including exploring new projects for development
- Assist the company and its parent company to identify new projects for development, assist in making techno-economic analyses and comparisons of potential projects, etc.
The post holder is required to act in a professional, cooperative, and flexibly in line with the requirements of the post and the company.
Social Networking in Public Relation
- Take overall responsibility for ensuring a good and effective relationship with all the stakeholders (NEA, DoED, NERC, Ministry of Energy, EPF, other Government agencies, local bodies, etc.) including locals of the project area and develop, manage and oversee the required interfaces for this purpose.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson and representative for the organization.
- Assure that the organization and its mission, programs, progress, and services are consistently presented in a strong positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Actively advocate for the organization, its beliefs, and its programmatic efforts.
- Act as a liaison between the organization and the stakeholders and build relationships with other organizations when appropriate.
For carrying out the above tasks efficiently and effectively, excellent contacts have always to be maintained with all the stakeholders of the project in general and people or organizations that the project has to deal with directly or indirectly in particular. These include but are not limited to the following:
- All important persons, organizations, and offices within the project area including intake, tunnel portal, and adits, surge shaft area, penstock site, powerhouse site, access road, T/line route, etc.
- Village/District/region and central level political leadership and administration (police and other security administration etc).
- Other influential local people
- Related government offices such as Ministry of Energy, Water Resources & Irrigation (MOWRI), NEA, DOED, NERC, Forest Department/Ministry, and DOR. Okhaldhunga-Salleri Road project, Nepal Army, Home Ministry (MOH), Ministry of Finance (MOE), customs, internal revenue department, police, etc. Other developers include Lower Solu, Beni Hydro, and other developers.
- Project Consultant, Contractor/Vendors, etc.
- Project owners (Company Board and Management)
- Any other person or organization.
Developing a competent team
- In order to achieve the main objective of safe & efficient operation of the plant, it is imperative to build a highly efficient team of performers and ensure its effective functioning. The General Manager shall be actively involved in setting, organizing, and leading such a competent project staff team (at head office and through the Plant Manager at the site), which shall normally include