Deloitte is seeking candidates for a Financial Specialist for Nepal Hydropower Development Project (NHDP), a five year USAID funded project. Applicants with Nepali citizenship are preferred.
The goals of NHDP are to expand access to modern, high quality hydropower services for the citizens of Nepal and to realize the potential for Nepal’s hydropower exports in South Asia. The project will accomplish this by facilitating private sector investment in hydropower resources in Nepal in an environmentally and socially sustainable manner. In addition, the project will support the restructuring of the electricity sector to create viable, efficient national power services and promote expanded electricity trade between India and Nepal.
The expected long-term results of the NHDP Project are:
- Improved economic growth, job creation, and quality of life.
- Strengthened economic relationships with Nepal’s neighboring countries, and improved balance of payments due to electricity sales.
- Greater energy security due to enhanced domestic generating capacity and integration with the Indian market.
- A lower carbon generation future for both India and Nepal
The Financial Specialist will support financial analysis for the NHDP project. He/she will work directly with the Senior Infrastructure Legal Advisor and Senior Financial Advisor(s) as well as other team members and will communicate findings to clients including USAID.
The proposed development of hydro projects will require financing arrangements that demand significant forethought as to their legal, commercial and financial structure. Projects of this magnitude and economic significance involve both public and private sector support from a variety of governmental, multi-lateral, and commercial institutions. Accordingly, a number of financial analyses will be required to support the advancement of Nepal’s hydropower transactions.
Deliverables, Tasks and/or Outputs
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the Senior Infrastructure Legal Advisor and Senior Financial Advisor(s) with their work and deliverables
- Support financial analysis of hydropower projects. Support the Financial Advisor to build financial models of the projects, the PDAs including government obligations and developer obligations and building out hydropower project costs.
- Support COP in the construction of financial models and analysis necessary for IBN, NEA and MOE to evaluate economics, financing & feasibility of proposed energy projects & impact on Nepalese power sector.
- Support team to construct models and financial analysis in support of Component 2, including training MOE and NEA on modeling economic regulation and tariff scenarios, and evaluating financial impacts of energy sector restructuring activities as needed.
- Support the development of cost benefit analyses on, the financial impact of proposed sector-wide reforms. For example, he/she will help to analyze the effect of unbundling on NEA’s operations, plus the potential for new HPP supply arrangements to support lifeline tariff programs for vulnerable communities - thereby enabling the GON to select options that are financially sustainable and have a net positive impact
- Meet with IFIs such as the IFC, KfW & ADB to understand their positions and requirements to invest in HPPs. Work with team to convene investors and institutions to identify ways of minimizing transaction risks, including improving the enabling environment for cross-border power evacuation
- Review and analyze the specific HPP PDAs and PNAs to structure deals – identify gaps, suggest future steps, meet with developers and identified potential investors.
- Analyze regional and local electricity tariff schemes and methodologies and future development opportunities.
- Work directly with team members to advise and train IBN on findings across listed tasks
- Perform capacity building on deal structuring and financial analysis of PDAs for IBN, Ministry of energy and potentially NEA.
Deliverables may include:
- Summary reports on work
- Contributions to project deliverables
- Presentation materials for formal trainings
- The Financial Specialist should have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of five years’ relevant professional experience
- Minimum of three years working in the areas of energy is preferred
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in the areas of finance, economics, or business or another related field
- Experience working with USAID, IFIs, commercial lending institutions is preferred