ACTIVE (Active Citizens through Inclusive Volunteering and Empowerment)
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Concept note for Policy Research on Public Financing for education, health, agro-ecology (Resilient livelihoods) and social protection
VSO is the world’s leading independent, international development organization that works through blend of community, national and international volunteers. VSO is working in Nepal since 1964 to improve the lives of impoverished people, particularly focusing on marginalized groups, vulnerable women and girls. We believe that people are the key to overcoming poverty, and that is why we work through Volunteering for Development Approach that people are empowered, public services are inclusive and accessible and decisions makers are held to account.
VSO is implementing ACTIVE (Active Citizens through Inclusive Volunteering and Empowerment) project which is funded by FCDO. The project aims to contribute in developing more inclusive, open, resilient, and gender equitable societies by making positive contribution in resilient livelihoods (promotion of agro-ecology and Right to Food Advocacy and its localization), health (equitable and accessible health systems strengthening), inclusive education (and youth (engagement and leadership). This multi year project works with both CSO and Government level platforms and mechanisms.
To be able to make evidence-based advocacy for the mutual accountability strengthening in various sectors, VSO/ACTIVE has planned to carry out action research and policy analysis. The above mentioned in the main heading policy analysis is one of those studies and this concept note is prepared to support to bring common understanding and clarity among team members.
The overall objective of this assignment is to carry out a study that explores the policy, practices and gaps of public financing in education, health, agroecology (Resilient livelihoods) and social protection that benefits the marginalized population and promote agenda of inclusive development in these sectors in Madhesh Province and Karnali Province .
Specific objectives are:
- Review Local Government’s (LG’s) annual plans, budget and investment in education, health, agro ecology and social protection (at least last two fiscal years).
- Identify and analyze LG’s commitment and investment on SDG national indicators (section 4 below) that promotes GoN's commitment to achieve agenda 2030.
- Identify and analyze the priority of LG’s plan and progress of investment in community empowerment , inclusive education, youth responsive health services and quality strengthening of multi sectoral services considering special needs of marginalized communities.
3. Expected Outputs/deliverables
- A brief concept-note for the study-Inception report.
- A policy analysis document consisting of multiple sectors in English.
- Final sharing meeting facilitation with VSO and partner staff.
- A policy brief (5-7 pager) in English and Nepali.
4. Proposed Palikas and thematic areas for Study
Madhesh Province: ACTIVE works in partnership and collaboration with Gadimai and Gaur Municipality in Rautahat, Jitpur Simara Sub Metropolitan and Kalaiya Sub Metro Politan in Bara. This study aims to cover all working Palikas from these two districts.
Karnali Province: ACTIVE works in partnership and collaboration with Lekhbesi and Bheriganga Municipalities in Surkhet. These two Palikas needs to be covered.
Altogether, there will be 6 Palikas covered in the study.
4.2 Thematic areas:
Health, Education, Resilient Livelihoods and Social Protection. For the SDGs review and analysis need to review Goal 4: girl's education, inclusive education-disability and accessibility, Goal 5: GBV and Harmful Social Norms and Practices, SRHR, Goal 10-Economic Engagement and Empowerment of women, youth and marginalized groups, Goal 13-plan and investment for community resilience and Goal 16-Social accountability practices of LGs)
5. VSO’s responsibilities
VSO will provide/facilitate following:
- Provide necessary information about field operation and projects details.
- Coordinate with field based NVs and partner representative.
- Facilitate ACTIVE partners to introduce the research team with Respective Local Governments in Rautahat, Bara and Surkhet.
- Consultancy fee as per agreement and release instalments as mentioned in agreement.
6. Consultant's responsibilities
The selected consultant/s will have following responsibilities:
- Coordinate with project team both in Kathmandu and field for preparing field plan, finalizing the methods and methodology of the study.
- Pre sharing of field travel.
- Self-manage logistics arrangement during field travel.
7. Required qualifications and experience
Following qualifications and experience is required for consultant (if any individual is applying) or assigned person (if any firm/company is applying);
- At least (minimum) two thematic experts (team leader and experts as team members) in a team. One of which should have expertise in Local Governance Systems and one in multiple sectors like Education, Health and Resilient Livelihoods. Team composition covering all the thematic areas would be value addition.
- At least; Masters' Degree (Mphil, Ph.D Preferred) in Social Science, Development Studies, Natural Resource Management or in any relevant subjects.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated working experience in the field research design and research conduction particular in above mentioned multi sectoral areas.
- Strong verbal, writing and oral communication skills in English and Nepali language.
- Coordination and team working skills.
- Willingness to travel and stay in rural areas of Rautahat, Bara and Surkhet.
8. Consultancy Period, Time Frame, Travel and Placement
The assignment should be completed within 28 of Feb 2023. In this context, the recommended timeline is as follows:
8.1 Time Frame
- The total time period of this consulting work is 30 days. The time period for the research work will start from the date of agreement signing and need to be completed by 28 Feb 2023.
8.2 Consultancy Period
- Desk Review and Inception Report preparation-3 days
- Meetings (KIIs, FGDs, Document review of LGs etc.) with LGs-20 days
- Report Drafting 5 days
- Final sharing and presentation-1 day
- Report Finalization-1 day.
8.3 Travel Arrangement
- The Consultant will travel in Rautahat, Bara and Surkhet.
- Travel and accommodation will be incorporated in the remuneration package -and need to be cover by consultant which needs to be clearly mentioned in the proposal.
9. Intellectual property and data protection
The research report will be VSO’s property. VSO’s communications and branding related provisions will be applied. The research team will be acknowledged in the fore-ward section. The research team will maintain ethical consideration and no data will be disseminated to any outer stakeholders without VSO’s permission.
10. Safeguarding and Protection
The consultant will be bound by VSO’s safeguarding policy. It is important that the successful bidder has taken all reasonable measures to mitigate any potential risk to the delivery of the required outputs for this evaluation and safeguarding of any stakeholders and primary actors involved.
11. Reporting and supervisory support
The consultant/s will complete the deliverable with the technical guidance of ACTIVE Project Manager at VSO. The consultant will be required to submit the regular progress report during the study period summarizing activities/tasks completed to date.
12. Language of the reports
The consultant/s need to conduct all discussions in Nepali. The major policy analysis document to be prepared in English. The Policy brief to be prepared both in English and Nepali. VSO expects final proof-read copies of these deliverables.
13. Application Procedure
Consultants are required to submit the following:
- A cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest and suitability.
- Technical proposal which includes objectives and method with detailed timeline.
- Financial Proposal in as a separate document.
- CVs of professional personnel proposed (at per the team requirement as mentioned in section 6).
- Copy of company registration certificate
- Copy of PAN/VAT registration certificate
- In case of individual/freelancer- Copy of VAT registration certificate is must.
- Latest Tax Clearance Certificate FY 78/79, or tax extension document (myad thap) of FY 2078/79 and tax clearance certificate of FY 2077/78 is must.
Proposals must be submitted to an email: [email protected] by 26th January 2023.