LOCATIONS: Regional Offices
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Global Fund
POST TYPE: Contract
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invested over 29 million US dollars in 2012 to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, TB and Malaria and Humanitarian crises.
The Entomologist will provide technical assistance to the GFATM Malaria Component, especially in study design of the entomological component, designing, conducting and supervising entomological activities in all project sites, conducting special entomological experiments, laboratory processing of mosquitoes, and management and analysis of entomological data and developing scientific reports.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Support overall planning and development of the project protocols in relation to entomological studies, and participates in developing appropriate epidemiological design.
- Support in developing standard operating procedures, data collection tools and databases for the entomological component of the project.
- Develops list of equipment and supplies required for the entomological component of the study and prepares documents for purchase requisition.
- Train VCO/VCI in mosquito collection, identification, and preservation and storage techniques.
- Support in developing protocol for entomological studies and get the protocol approved from NHRC, Global Fund and Technical working group on Malaria.
- Supervise the overall implementation of entomological survey and ensure the overall quality of survey
- Undertakes entomological activities during regular surveys to ensure high quality standards.
- Carries out special entomological experiments in some or all of GFATM project sites as and when required.
- Processes mosquitoes in the laboratory using molecular, biochemical and other modern techniques for species identification, infection rate determination, blood meal identification and others as required.
- Provide technical assistance to entomologists in the region and support in their capacity building.
- Provide technical assistance to vector control officers/inspectors on identification and diagnosis of malaria vectors.
- Support in strengthening the capacity of vector borne disease research and training centre (VBDRTC) in entomological related activities.
- Take lead in smooth functioning of insectaries in VBDRTC and bring the insectaries in regular operation and entomological research
- Prepares regular progress reports on entomological activities.
- Carries out analyses of entomological data in relation to other epidemiological data and develops scientific reports and publications.
- Support in developing and implementing National Integrated Vector Management (IVM) policy/strategy as well as LLINs distribution/ IRS policy and guidelines.
- Support on stratifying the malaria foci of the whole nation as per the national strategy.
- Strengthens and regularizes IRS monitoring & evaluation system.
- Monitors the IRS activities at the national, district and below level to ensure the quality of IRS.
- Monitors the LLINs effectiveness and coverage of the population.
- Monitors the vector density and conduct vector surveys as well as susceptibility and bioassay tests.
- Ensures quality storage, transport and handling of insecticide.
- Takes lead on strengthening, expansion and institutionalization of integrated vector surveillance system.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelors in Zoology or Bachelor in Public Health or Bachelor in environment science with at least 3 years (2 years for GSI group) .
- Understanding of malaria epidemiology.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Skills in the use of Microsoft Office, especially Excel.