TEAM/PROGRAMME: Malaria, Global Fund
LOCATION: Dhangadhi, M&FWFO
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed term grant
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Entomologist will provide technical assistance to the GFATM Malaria Component, especially in study design of the entomological component, designing, conducting and supervising entomological activities in all project sites, conducting special entomological experiments, laboratory processing of mosquitoes, and management and analysis of entomological data and developing scientific reports.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Contributes to the overall planning and development of the project protocols in relation to entomological studies, and participates in developing appropriate epidemiological design.
- Develops standard operating procedures, data collection tools and databases for the entomological component of the project.
- Develops list of equipment and supplies required for the entomological component of the study and prepares documents for purchase requisition.
- Trains field entomology staff in mosquito collection, identification, and preservation and storage techniques.
- Undertakes entomological activities during regular surveys to ensure high quality standards.
- Carries out special entomological experiments in some or all of GFATM project sites as and when required.
- Processes mosquitoes in the laboratory using molecular, biochemical and other modern techniques for species identification, infection rate determination, blood meal identification and others as required.
- Prepares regular progress reports on entomological activities.
- Carries out analyses of entomological data in relation to other epidemiological data and develops scientific reports and publications.
- Lead on Developing and implementing National Integrated Vector Management (IVM) policy/strategy as well as LLINs distribution/ IRS policy and guidelines.
- Leads on stratifying the malaria foci of the whole nation as per the national strategy.
- Strengthens and regularizes IRS monitoring & evaluation system.
- Monitors the IRS activities at the national, district and below level to ensure the quality of IRS.
- Monitors the LLINs effectiveness and coverage of the population.
- Monitors the vector density and conduct vector surveys as well as susceptibility and bioassay tests.
- Ensures quality storage, transport and handling of insecticide.
- Takes lead on strengthening, expansion and institutionalization of integrated vector surveillance system.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Bachelor in Public Health; preferably MPH or MSc in Medical Entomology or Tropical Medicine with major in Entomology/Parasitology or Zoology with Post graduate Diploma in applied Entomology
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Advanced skills in laboratory processing of mosquitoes, including species identification using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) techniques, infection rate determination and blood meal analysis
- At least three years of professional experience as Entomologist
- Insectary maintenance skills
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Skills in the use of Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Adequate understanding of malaria epidemiology