As a member of the senior management team, the Director of Programs reports to the Managing Director and is responsible for the development, planning, implementation, management, supervision and evaluation of overall programs in accordance with standards set by Nepal CRS. The Director of Program participates in strategic planning and budgeting initiatives as well as monitoring and evaluation. And PD represents Nepal CRS with donors and in coordination meetings with other INGOs, partner organizations and government authorities. S/he is responsible for overseeing the development of program strategies appropriate for the specific environment in which Nepal CRS works. Under the direct supervision of Managing Director, the Program Director (PD) is responsible to develop a strategic plan, provide comprehensive leadership to design, implement and strengthen the Nepal CRS' program. PD is responsible for generating new funds, finding new programs, writing proposal and developing budget. Additionally, PD needs to coordinate with different stakeholders including the government partners.
Responsible for overseeing the development and execution of project deliverables, lead project planning, budgeting, action plans and monitoring processes.
Job Type: Time Bound
Required No. 1
Location: Head Office - Kathmandu
Reports To: Managing Director
Level / Grade: 6
Reported By: M&E Manager, Project Manager and New Business Development Manager
Program Design and Proposal Development
- Lead the process of development of concept papers, project proposals and responses to calls for proposals, as needed;
- Lead program design processes, including contributions to log frames and M&E plans;
- Contribute to technical writing and review of proposals as appropriate; and,
- Oversee the preparation and submission of annual activity-based project budgets as well as monthly and quarterly financial reports and sending of new funding request.
- Contribute to strategic planning in the area of program development.
- Serve as Program Development focal point for information on existing and potential donors.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with current and potential donors and partners.
- Develop multiyear business plan and annual operational plans that are comprehensive, actionable and inclusive.
- Responsible for the overall planning, implementation, and management of the project as well as the achievement of the goals and objectives of the project in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Work closely with the Program team to refine and develop services and programs, create written plans for all programs, develop systems to measure the performance of all programs, provide regular supervision of programs to assure their effectiveness and quality, provide periodic reporting the outcome of all the programs.
- Lead role in developing program strategies and annual plans ensuring coordination of all technical inputs to country strategy, proposals and reports.
- Lead role in developing program strategies and annual plans ensuring coordination of all technical input to country strategy, proposals and reports
- Develop/update Nepal CRS’ strategy for Nepal CRS’ program planning & management and its operationalizing guideline.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on political and related developments in Nepal to provide regional and country analysis that have impacts on the programs implemented by CRS.
- Monitor and assess program activities to determine if they are in compliance with donor deliverables and budgets, effectively meeting Nepal CRS’ strategic objectives and identify areas that can be improved or strengthened
- Oversee the preparation and submission of annual activity-based project budgets as well as monthly and quarterly financial reports and sending of new funding requests.
Leadership and General Management
- Be the focal point person for program both externally and within Nepal CRS.
- Serve as technical lead for overall programs of Nepal CRS in project development and management.
- Oversee the implementation of all program activities in Nepal CRS ensuring consistency with donor agreements and objectives, and other deliverables.
- Establish, maintains, and develops productive working relationship with relevant stakeholders, consultants, program field and other employees of CRs and its subsidiaries.
- Supervises local program - field staff, including participating in the hiring, professional development and evaluation process for these staff. Set specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
- Mentors subordinates in program development, , work plan development and presentation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and business development
- Support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our broad spectrum programming values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation
- Work closely with program staff members to ensure they are provided with appropriate support systems and responsive, quality service to support their efforts.
- Ensure that all program staff positions are appropriately and timely filled in coordination with HR Head.
- Mentor and/or train program staff to ensure that team members have the appropriate skill levels for their positions and opportunities for continued professional development.
- Oversee development, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation of the overall programs in Nepal CRS.
- Work within close collaboration with Managing Director and Manager – Monitoring & Evaluation to oversee the M&E processes - data collection, management, analysis and publication - of Nepal CRS program results.
- Oversee volunteer placement and supervision for Nepal.
- In coordination with the Managing Director organize the donor visits as needed. Ensure compliance with local laws and policies regarding program-related activities.
- Arrange appropriate mechanism to build the capacity of staff, project partners and beneficiaries on improved program management, along with follow-up and backstopping.
- Maintains an understanding of donor and their policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Understands a grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements.
- Oversees the implementation of all program activities in Nepal CRS ensuring consistency with grant work plans and objectives, reporting weekly to Managing Director.
- Monitors and approve program- field office budgets and expenses, in collaboration with program staff, Finance Head and Project finance officer, to ensure that expenditures remain within budget allocations.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports to Managing Director on political and economic developments, and media responses.
- Ensures adherence to monitoring and evaluation plans, including the monitoring of programs and evaluation/analysis of program results.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Monitor performance of the project management team to ensure all milestones set in the annual work plan are met, develop mitigation plans to reduce risks and take corrective actions to remedy any deviation from the work plans
- Establish and maintain an effective communication system with internal and external partners (donor agencies, SWC, Ministry of Health and Population and other government counterparts, local and international NGOs).
- Provide all required information to Managing Director and other relevant department head for grant reports, quarterly reports and annual report.
- Timely preparation and submission of programmatic and financial reports for various Government Departments such as the Social Welfare Council and the Department of Health Services.
- Work with external partners to ensure that intellectual property is maintained and that appropriate credit is duly given.
- Provides information and contributes to sections of quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders.
- Actively supports Nepal CRS’ communication strategy including Nepal CRS’ branding and outreach plans on projects assigned, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, Nepal CRS’ website etc.
Public and private sector engagement
- Establish/nurture relationship with government sector, specifically in the new federal set up and maximize services to Nepal CRS.
- Collaboration with other development projects/partners to supplement/complement Nepal CRS initiative.
- Establishes, maintains, and develops productive working relationship with relevant stakeholders, consultants, field and Nepal CRS staff
Research & Development
- Collaboration with experts, development partners, academic and research institution in various research work
- Systematic documentation of successes and lessons learnt for internal programmatic use and external sharing realized
- Materials created to document knowledge targeted to different audience (e.g., briefs, booklets, training manual & training materials, posters, audio/visuals etc.)
- A system set up for wider dissemination of knowledge
Primary Interface – Internal
- Senior Management Committee: To strengthen the programmatic activities of Nepal CRS Company while generating new avenues and ideas for raising funds in Nepal CRS. Generating strategy and plan for introducing new product that can fit into social marketing theme.
- CRS Program team: Updating the program team at CRS on overall operational status of program. Provide guidance and direction whenever and wherever necessary in solving problems and/or formulating operational strategy.
- All CRS employees: Act as the overall member of CRS staff and communicate for sharing and seeking help in matters related to the implementation of program in the projected areas.
Primary Interface – External
- Ministry of Health and Population, Social Welfare Council, local partners and national and international agencies: For smooth program implementation in the projected areas and to ensure the compliance and standards as set by these entities while implementing the program in the country.
- Donor Agencies: Updating on the performance of the program and providing details on all the aspects asked for
- New Funders: Approach new funders by writing proposal to them for making Nepal CRS grant recipient of their program implementation in the country
- Innovative, strategical, analytical and critical thinker
- Excellent planning, management, and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a demanding workload comprising diverse and challenging tasks and responsibilities.
- Proven track record of active contribution to a senior management team, and providing strategic support across multiple sectors and geographic areas.
- A very good understanding and general technical experience of at least 3 of the sectorial programs and a working knowledge of the program priorities of the donors and Government of Nepal.
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants from major institutional donors.
- Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results.
- Experience of advocacy and linkages of programmers and projects with government
- Knowledge and hands on experience of humanitarian and development Programme management in the context of Nepal
- Experience in writing proposals, project designs and handling partnership issues and communication.
- Strong leadership, management and people skills including team player.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with fluent spoken and written Nepalese and English.
- Knowledge of the political, social and economic context of the region and the development issues and challenges it faces.
- Experience of advocacy and linkages of programs and projects with government.
- Ability to plan and priorities, meet deadlines, and achieve results in team with clear exit strategy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Successful proposal writing and partnership development track record;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines;
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Ability to follow instructions and carefully review work for accuracy;
- Ability to act independently to identify and analyses problems and recommend effective solutions
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum Qualification: Master’s degree in Health, social sciences, development studies or in any other relevant field
- Preferred/ Additional Qualification: Public Health
- Minimum Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience in a relevant senior management position with proven track record of proposal development and donor project management
- Preferred/ Additional Experience: Experience in leading multiple programs at a time in Health care
Please go through detailed TOR for the position before applying. The TOR can be downloaded HERE
Application should possess cover letter and CV indicating academic and professional qualifications with 2 references by 16th September, 2020.
Nepal CRS Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified and eligible women candidate or those from disadvantaged background are highly encouraged to apply. Nepal CRS will contact only shortlisted candidates. Enquiry through telephone or email at any stage of the process will not be entertained and shall lead to automatic disqualification.