CARE Nepal seeks Director - Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) for the anticipated USAID-funded Integrated Nutrition Activity in Nepal. The purpose of this activity is to strengthen the Government of Nepal’s commitment and capacity to improve nutrition outcomes and to ensure a healthy and productive workforce in Nepal. The project will accomplish this by improving the nutrition and health standards of women and children via better maternal, newborn, and child health services and strengthened policies, systems, and programs that improve the health and nutritional status of women, adolescents and children.
The Director - Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) will oversee monitoring, evaluation, learning and program quality improvement activities/components of the program consortium led by CARE. The incumbent will lead design and implementation of the project MEL framework, systems, research activities and processes in line with CARE’s system and USAID requirements. S/he will lead the development of the project MEL plan including appropriate gender sensitive-indicators, data collection and milestones to monitor and evaluate performance, produce timely, accurate and complete reporting. S/he will ensure the collection of appropriate data from a variety of sources to understand effective approaches and Activity performance on an on-going basis. This position will lead the Activity in the effective analysis and use of data to adjust programmatic approaches at the national and individual municipal levels on a continuous basis. This position, will lead the Activity in the continuous implementation of adaptive management, ensuring a feedback loop and direct connection between data and continuous program and strategic adjustments and improvements. S/he will manage and mentor project MEL team, research/survey partners and guide and build capacity in MEL and program team in the related process.
This position will based in Kathmandu, Nepal and is contingent upon award and donor approval.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight for developing M&E systems, tools and procedures, and avail and promote the use of information to guide performance management through well analyzed, rapid and timely feedback.
- Lead the design and implementation of the program MEL framework and information system to track delivery against outputs, outcomes and impacts.
- Ensure the alignment of MEL activities with program goals and contribute to the development of annual work plans to identify project targets and ensure inclusion of M&E activities.
- Provide technical oversight to project to undertake periodic monitoring and evaluations such as baseline, mid-term reviews and end-line evaluations along with operational research and other research in coordination with MoHP.
- Provide up-to-date, evidence based information to management for strategic planning and decisions for enhanced project performance.
- Develop and implement tools for data collection, processing and analysis in line with CARE and USAID requirement, and lead the analysis of data for assessing progress and areas of improvement and generating learning.
- Implement adaptive analytics including best practices in artificial intelligence and information technology.
- Develop and implement adaptive feedback and management systems for detecting, communicating and sharing evidence about the impacts and outcomes of the project, and promote knowledge generating and sharing learning platforms.
- Establish and maintain procedures and mechanisms for identifying best practices, generate learning and evidence of impacts; and ensure these are consistently applied across the organization and also at partners’ level.
- Exchange of MEL data, information and evidence with Government counterparts, civil society organizations, media, academic institutions to promote learning and support in advocacy efforts.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of project activities to donor, including progress against targets set in the award agreement and annual work plan, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Guide, supervise, and build capacity of MEL team in M&E system and procedures.
- Serve as program focal point with External Impact Evaluation team.
- Postgraduate Degree or Equivalent in a relevant field (e.g. statistics, M&E, research methods, Public Health, Demography, etc.) with a minimum of 8 to 10 years of M&E and Knowledge Management experience.
- At least 8 years of experience with research, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management of USAID-funded programs from project inception through close out demonstrating progressively increasing level of responsibility.
- Experience in social norms change measurement and proven experience of developing indicators to measure success of the program.
- Knowledge of statistical software (such as SPSS, STATA, and SAS with GIS), adaptive analytics and artificial intelligence
- Advanced skills with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- M&E experience on health and nutrition programs is an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in implementation and design of quantitative and qualitative research as well as use and programmatic application of research for quality assurance and program improvement.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of management expertise and experience; previous experience supervising and mentoring staff and ability to build MEL capacity of staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to effectively manage a multi-cultural team, make timely and transparent decisions, and manage conflict.
- Experience implementing adaptive management, ensuring feedback loop and direct connection
- between data and continuous program and strategic adjustments and improvements.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity and Diversity and PSHEA (Prevention of Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse).
- Required oral and written fluency in English. Fluency in Nepali preferred.
- Ability to travel to project sites as required.
This job has expired.