Position: Communications Specialist for Child Labour: ActionResearch-Innovation in South and South-Eastern Asia (CLARISSA) Project, Nepal
Post Type: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Work Station: Kathmandu
Contract Period: Until September 2023 (renewable - subject to project funding)
The Communications Specialist will need to combine excellent communications, editorial and organizational skills with creative flair and an interest in the use of digital technologies to help the CLARISSA project team deliver against its goals and objectives
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Communications and engagement
- Work with CLARISSA partners in Nepal to promote consortium messages and activities, identifying relevant moments and opportunities to communicate and engage
- Development of country-level communications plans and engagement strategies based on the overall consortium communications strategy and Nepal stakeholder mapping.
- Work closely with CLARISSA Nepal Advocacy Expert and CLARISSA Nepal Country Coordinator (based at VOC).
- Collate data and produce reports for funders and consortium tracking.
- Lead on the delivery of Nepal communications and campaigns via Nepal channels and networks.
- Engage with the media and relevant stakeholders to raise the profile and messages of the consortium.
- Update CLARISSA programme social media sites including Facebook and Twitter to promote Nepal research and campaigns.
- Work closely with the CLARISSA Advocacy Expert to prepare communication materials to support CLARISSA advocacy objectives.
- Support the production and dissemination of various materials (targeting different audiences, including children), including publications, visual assets, multimedia content, programme materials and e-alerts, liaising with freelancers and suppliers as needed in the consortium.
- Produce online content including blogs, news stories, social media posts and multimedia content for CLARISSA
- Edit, copy-edit and proofread articles, summaries and web-text.
- Source appropriate photos for publications and online content, in line with copyright law.
- Lead on the filming and editing of videos and interviews.
Working across the CLARISSA consortium
- Work closely with communications colleagues based in other country teams and in partner organisations to contribute to the communications objectives and activities of the CLARISSA consortium.
- Coordination with others in CWISH to support CLARISSA objectives and to ensure high quality outputs / outcomes
- Contribute to the monthly Advocacy and Communications Working Group and work with the team to contribute towards the Global communication efforts.
- Input and shape messaging and content across the CLARISSA consortium.
- Bachelor's degree (preferable Master’s) in Mass Communication or similar qualification.
- A degree and/or professional qualification in communications or marketing
- At least 5 years experience in a Communications role.
- Experience of using social media as part of wider communications/plan.
- Experience of editorial and publications processes.
- Experience of supporting profile events
- Relevant experience of working with the media
- Experience of working on websites and social media platforms.
- Experience of commissioning and producing publications.
- Experience of writing website content.
- Experience of working in a communications or marketing role in the international development or charitable sectors.
- Experience of working with complex research and communicating it to non-expert/academic audiences.
- Experience of creating multimedia products – i.e. short films and interviews.
- Experience of working with vulnerable groups.
- Fluency in spoken and written Nepali and English.
- Knowledge of children’s rights and the relevant national legal/policy framework
- A good understanding of the realities faced by children in the worst forms of child labour and those who are vulnerable to being drawn into it.
- Good understanding of communications.
- Good knowledge of the development sector, journalism and media, networks and organisations.
- Good general grounding in current thinking and practice in communications, media (including digital media).
- Good basic design sense and the ability to lay out documents professionally.
- Knowledge and interest in child labour issues.
- Design packages such as InDesign
- Knowledge of copyright.
- Ability to summarise complex research information in clear, non-specialist language.
- Ability to identify engagement opportunities and mobilise relevant resources to capitalise on them.
- Strong all-round communication skills, including verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify and write blogs and articles in an accessible and engaging way for different audiences.
- Ability to write in child-friendly language.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Writing for the web and use of social media.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Editing and proofreading.
- Translation skill from English to Nepali and vice versa
- Experience in matrix management work nature
- Multimedia and design skills including video and audio production.
- A team player with energy, enthusiasm, flexibility and a pro-active approach to work.
- Ability to work on own initiative and identify opportunities for communications and activities.
- Highly organised with an ability to work to deadlines by setting priorities and managing workloads.
- Strong eye for detail.
- Commitment to team and collaborative working.
- High level of social intelligence
This job has expired.