Required Nos. : 2
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal (with extensive travel in Nepal)
Start Date: February 2019
Background and Objectives:
Louis Berger seeks Communication Managers for ongoing programmes in Nepal that will work with both the public and private sector to improve the provision of skills development and financial outreach in Nepal.
An upcoming programme will enhance the ability of Nepalese workforce to find better jobs within the employment sector, for key sectors (ICT, Hospitality/Tourism, Agriculture, Light Industry, Construction, Hydro-Power), create domestic jobs for young people through supply and demand focused interventions on skills provision, and to support greater development benefits from migration.
The Access to Finance programme works with the public and private sectors to leverage access and facilitate financial sector development in Nepal for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and for poor people with a focus on Karnali Province, Province No. 5 & 7, and beyond. To do so, the programme focuses on three main outputs:
1. Improved SME Finance as banks and other financial institutions provide more and better products and services to these enterprises.
2. Strengthened capacity of microfinance financial institutions (MFIs) as well as other formal and semi-formal financial institutions, to provide services in selected districts
3. Improved financial capability of enterprises and households in priority districts
The role of the Communication Manager is to conceptualize, plan and implement the organization’s internal and external communications as well as be responsible for generating learning and knowledge within Louis Berger Group’s programmes and communicating such information externally to develop the programme’s profile.
The key responsibilities of the Communication Manager are as follows:
- Serve as the main contact point for collection and dissemination of case studies, lessons learned and best practices emerging from the programme
- Prepare reports, newsletters and responses to requests for information
- Take lead in creating physical and virtual archive of key documents and media files for reference and usage by the programme and
- Development of communication guidelines and training sessions for staff and partners
- Contribute to the implementation of the programme’s Communication & Outreach Strategy
- Prepare and edit content for, as well as maintain, the programme’s website, to create a dynamic platform with updated information about programme’s key activities and partnerships as well as maintain it as an Information Hub
- Work with team members of key programme components to update the programme’s social media platforms with relevant and timely information
- Support the overall programme as well as key components in creating communication materials to introduce the programme’s key activities and recent updates
- Draft press releases; success stories and develop blogs by working closely with the various technical components
- Take lead in planning and organizing periodic physical events to engage implementing partners and stakeholders in decision-making, and to gather feedback, as well as plan physical events outside the valley to engage beneficiaries and national and local level media
- Take lead in communicating programme activity updates and news of the programme to local and regional media through national dailies, magazines, television, radio, online platforms, etc.
- Support the programme partner institutions in implementing their communication plans and media campaigns; designing and implementing innovative communication initiatives to create awareness regarding new products and services launched by partner institutions in mostly rural landscapes
- Maintain the programme’s internal and external communication needs
- Candidates will report to their Team Leader.
- At least 5 years of work experience in Development Communication, preferably in programmes that have successfully partnered with the Nepalese private sector. Previous work experience with national level (English) media is preferred
- A Bachelor’s level degree in Mass Communications or any equivalent degree; a post graduate degree is preferable
- Fluency in spoken English and Nepali
- English written communication skills are a must for this position
- Prior experience in drafting releases; stories and blogs in English for prominent business dailies or publications
- Candidate should have a learning attitude with leadership skills as well as an ability to work within a team
- Fluency in using office software such as MS Word, MS PowerPoint and other presentation tools; a basic knowledge of photo and video editing is preferable
- Experience in enabling and maintaining a web presence for projects
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated with an ability to prioritize and manage a sometimes-conflicting workload and absorb large amounts of information easily and accurately
- The maturity to analyze complex and sometimes politically sensitive issues against a multi-cultural backdrop
- The ability to work as part of a team, helping to develop and work towards shared goals and objectives and
- Should be willing to travel outside Kathmandu on short notice