The Commis I is responsible for the proper efficiency and profitable functioning of the assigned kitchens. Under the guidance and supervision of the Chef de Partie, and within the limits of established Resort Policies, Procedures and Food and Beverage Manual, responsible for overseeing and directing all aspects of the Commis I section of the kitchen.
1. Reports directly to the Chef de Partie or his delegate.
2. Provides functional assistance and direction to the personal employed in the kitchen Commis Section.
3. Interacts, cooperates with other Departments and other sections of Food & Beverage as appropriate.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Participates in the preparation of all soups, vegetables, potatoes, eggs dishes, pastes, rice dish and garnishes in accordance with established Recipe Cards and methods.
- Checks daily function sheets and daily menu to ensure propriety production levels.
- Initiates requisitions to stores based on daily menu, function sheets and forecast.
- Ensures that all Kitchen / Room Service & Restaurants Outlets are sufficiently supplied with their requirements.
- Ensures that all dishes are correctly garnished before being sent to the restaurants or any other outlets for the service.
- Ensures food is correctly prepared by sampling on regular basis.
- Ensures during meal periods that buffet table is kept replenished and attractive for the duration of service.
- Ensures portion control policy / standard plating instruction are adhered to.
- Conducts on the job learning events as appropriate.
- Ensures section is kept in clean and orderly fashion.
- Ensures that all equipment / utensils in the section are correctly handled and maintained
- Participates in menu planning as appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains effective employee relations.
- Coaches employees in his section the “Clear as you go” method of working.
- Ensures IHC Hygiene and Sanitation Standard are attained in the section.
- Complies with Health and Safety Policy.
- Regularly checks in fridges and walking coolers the following:
- Expiry dates
- Hygiene and sanitation
- Temperatures of the cold rooms
- Production mis en place
- Identifies and prepares all tasks break down in the Commis section.
- Monitors the food production according to the Resort standard.
- Prepares market list for the section and forwarded to Chef de Partie or his delegate.
- Keeps an up-to-date standard recipe file for food items to include:
- Recipe list (cooking with style)
- Food cost
- Importation items list & their costs.
- Items preparation timing
- Participates in the following meetings as per the schedule:
- Department communication meeting
- Training coordinators meeting
- Maintains high rating on S.P.P.S & G.S.S.
- Familiarizes yourself with the following procedures:
- Resort fire procedures.
- Crisis management system.
- First aid procedures.
- Health & Safety policy and procedures.
- Resort security procedures.
- Resort product knowledge.
- Resort standard manuals (Department concerned).
- Palace environmental procedures.
- Conducts monthly communication meeting for the section employees (cooks).
- Maintains high level of staff discipline.
- Performs related duties and special projects as assigned.