Fastenaktion (FA) is a Swiss development organization represented by Grassroots Consulting (GC) in Nepal. Currently, FA works with 8 NGO partners. Its two themes are Food and Agriculture, and Women Empowerment. For over two decades it has mostly engaged itself in the upper Karnali region of Nepal.
Grassroots Consulting seeks to hire ‘Agroecology Field Officer’ with the aim to provide field support to three Partner Organizations (POrgs) namely Jhumlawang Village Foundation (JVF Nepal), Nepal Magar Society Service and Information Center (MIC Nepal), and Nepal Public Awakening Forum (NPAF).
- Has hands-on knowledge of farming and aptitude towards agroecology.
- Is contextualized with remote rural context.
- Can live and extensively walk in remote areas for extended periods.
- Is analytical, finds and proactively shares sources of knowledge and is a problem solver.
- Has proven experience in capacity building including trainings, coaching and mentoring
- Can communicate with various stakeholders including farmers, groups, municipal leaders, local bureaucrats.
- Is comfortable working with multiple partners and a diverse team
CONTRACT TYPE: This is a full-time consultant position. Initially, a probation period of three months including a minimum two field visit to each of the partners. Following the probation period, a full-time engagement renewed on annual basis comes into effect.
DUTY STATION: The agroecology field officer will be a 100% field-based mobile position based in Rukum. Each month, the position will spend approximately 8 days in each of the three field sites of Rukum East and Rukum West.
PROJECT LOCATIONS: All project locations are situated in remote parts of East and West Rukum. Traveling to and within the project site involves extensive walking and living with community members. The following are the projects and their project locations:
Jhumlawang Village Foundation (JVF), East Rukum
The Jhumlawang Village Foundation Nepal (JVF) works in 5 villages of ward number 2 and 3 of Bhume rural municipality in East Rukum. The project has a target group of approx. 600 HHs and aims to improve the health status of its beneficiaries through Agroecology.
Nepal Magar Society Service and Information Center (MIC Nepal), East Rukum
The Nutrition and Livelihood Promotion Project implemented by MIC is located in Sisne rural municipality Ward No. 1 and 2 of East Rukum. It covers approximately 600 HHs.
Nepal Public Awakening Forum (N‐PAF), West Rukum
Community Food Security Empowerment Programme (CFSEP) is implemented by NPAF in Aathbiskot municipality, ward number 1 and 2. It covers approximately 600 HHs.
REMUNERATION: Negotiable according to the qualifications and experience within the organizations’ salary framework.
EXPECTED OUTCOMES IN 2022
Supporting the partners:
- Works closely with PCs, JTAs and Social Mobilizers of JVF, MIC Nepal and NPAF for planning and implementing field support activities.
- Provide constant support in planning and implementation of agroecological project activities of the partners.
- Continuously access the direction of projects and ensure they are in line with AE principles and support partners when reorientation is required.
- Review the impact and effectiveness of the activities and provide support in strengthening or reorienting the activities to meet the project objectives.
- Build capacities of local resource persons, nursery holders and community volunteers on a constant basis through trainings, coaching, mentoring etc.
- Together with the Agroecology Coordinator, identifies reliable sources for seeds, saplings and other inputs and empowers the partners to make use of them consistently.
- Documents relevant local/traditional knowledge of farming from the project areas and supports project field staffs to prepare inventory of local crops, varieties, animals and breeds.
- Troubleshoot technical problems as it emerges or seeks support from elsewhere if needed.
- Innovate relevant agroecological methods that help achieve project objectives.
- Support the partners in their local advocacy work at ward and municipal levels.
- Be available in the project location of the partners to get a clearer idea of the above-mentioned points.
Planning, monitoring and Verification:
- Ensure AE principles are met in the projects through monitoring, evaluation and verification of reports.
- Assess gaps and needs for support related to Agroecology and organize/facilitate initiatives to address them
- Ensure that partners as well as the AE coordinator are fully involved in planning and implementation of activities and report proactively to these parties.
- Accompany the partner organizations in reviewing relevant monitoring systems for agroecology.
- Identify and support partner organizations in the assessment and management of risks related to their project implementations in a timely manner.
- Collaborates, coordinates with Palika and Ward level counterparts/representatives for advocating agroecology at local level.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Reports to Grassroots Consulting’s agroecology coordinator.
- Is accountable to the PC of JVF for financial reporting, admin and expense related issues.
- Strengthen AE related work as mentioned in expected outcome for 2022
- Submit monthly plans and required reports on pre-agreed time.
- Maintain proper aptitude and behavior as expected from a development worker.
This job has expired.