Location: Gorkha and Dhaghing
Team/Programme: WASH, country office
Contract Length: December 2016
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
BRIEF POSITION DESCRIPTION
Responsible for the plan, design, implementation, follow-up, evaluation of hygiene promotion activities of Save The Children in one of the districts (Dolakha, Shindhupalchok, Kavrepalanchok, Rasuwa, Nuwakot, Dhading, Gorkha). The post is specifically oriented towards the WASH emergency response/ recovery in the context of the crisis in the district. The post will direct report to district manager and technical report to WASH Coordinator. The position need to special attention on the integration; at planning and implementation of the WASH sector in other core sectors of Save The Children such as nutrition, shelter, food security, health, education, and child protection. The position holder need to work closely with the partner team to ensure the delivery set target activities with good quality on time.
- Mentor partner’s WASH hygiene promotion team on conducting on conducting in-depth need assessments of the hygiene promotion and community mobilization in the target sites, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Design and plan district’s WASH hygiene promotion activities based on the project log frame, proposal and budget.
- Design and develop the curriculum of hygiene promotion training and orientation to partner staffs and volunteer.
- Liaise and coordinate activities with district level WASH line agencies, D-WASH-CC, V-WASH-CC, community health workers/volunteers
- Deliver the relevant hygiene promotion training/orientation at district and community level
- Work closely with District managers, WASH engineering officer, logistic team and partners to ensure timely delivery of programme activities with high quality.
- Coordinate WASH hygiene activities with other sectors of Save the Children, in order to integrate activities in the same geographical area and for the same beneficiaries
- Prepare the periodic progress report as required.
- Prepare distribution, implementation plan, raised procurement request at district level and follow up with the logistic team for timely delivery of required materials
- Extensive field visit to implement, supervise and monitor the activities and provide necessary backstop support to the partner staffs and involved volunteer
- Review BVA of WASH project, warehouse report and plan activities to meet the set targets.
- Initiate the integration of disaster risk reduction (DRR), gender, child protection, HIV, people living with disability, environment protection and other relevant crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of Hygiene promotion activities
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Validate work progress and quality delivered by partners and coordinate with administration and logistics to ensure payment
- Ensure that the delivered work comply with the set quality benchmark.
- With the WASH team implementation of initial and final KAP surveys (Knowledge, Attitude, Practice)
- Support on PDM (Post Distribution Monitoring) survey for materials distributed
- Follow-up of water quality analyses at household level (residual chlorine, bacteriological analysis), in particular to assess the effectiveness of home water treatment techniques
- Collection, consolidation and reporting of hygiene and health related data, necessary for the consolidation of standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activity performed, results of water analysis performed)
- Act as focal person of SCI for WASH hygiene promotion related task
- Weekly report to line manager and technical manager, verbal or written reports whenever necessary
- Deliver results in line with the current proposals and Save the Children’s strategy
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- To perform such other responsibilities as agreed with your line management.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors’ degree in Public Health or related discipline with 3 years (2 years for application from GSI group)* of relevant experience
- Organization, coordination and planning skills
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to listen and adapt
- Excellent facilitation and community mobilization skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Fluent knowledge of local language is preferred
- Fluent knowledge of written and oral Nepali and English
- Nepali National
- Experience with working with partners
- Experience in education, and in the field of training
- Direct experience in the geographical area targeted by Save the Children
- Experience working with an international NGO