Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Project Director
Based: Kathmandu with frequent travel to field locations
Duration: 8 months (Possible Extension subject to funding)
The Training and Capacity Building Coordinator will support BBC Media Action’s capacity building with Nepal’s broadcast sector. The post-holder will build on our needs assessments and the successes and challenges of previous years to further improve technical and editorial standards, particularly in the production of news and current affairs programming. S/he will spend considerable periods of time working alongside programme makers in radio stations outside the capital Kathmandu, co-ordinating on-the-job training and mentoring. The post-holder will also work closely with managers within the broadcast sector in Nepal to arrange training on editorial strategy, news operations and organizational development. The training coordinator will support the identification, recruitment and support of ad hoc consultants to contribute to the training programme. The post-holder will also support the Project Director in developing the strategy for BBC Media Action in Nepal.
- Design and deliver creative and engaging trainings and workshops using tested and valued adult learning techniques to media and development sector professionals, on a range of technical, editorial and genre-specific skills related to media and communication
- Provide hands on coaching and mentoring support to partner Radio and TV stations on all aspects of production
- Design and implement multi-media training materials and courses and ensure the dissemination of these through various platforms and formats including distance learning
- Ensure high quality translations of all training materials produced by the team
- Ensure that all training meets the highest BBC standards, and delivers to the project objectives and donor contractual requirements
- Support broadcasters to use findings from audience research and feedback to refine and improve programme outputs in response to audience needs
- Assist with project co-ordination, including work planning, financial management, ensuring health and safety of project staff, and liaising with project donors and partners as required
- Provide logistical and co-ordination support of projects which build the capacity of the broadcast sector in Nepal
- Support training of trainers initiatives
- Support the development and implementation of online training platforms as per requirements
- Support narrative and financial reports on project implementation
- Support the Project Director and others in business development of new projects
- Work alongside broadcasters and develop constructive and engaging relationships with a range of staff across ACORAB, BAN and other networks and major broadcasters
- Hold learning events evaluate learning approaches as appropriate
Essential skills and experience
- Minimum University Degree in the relevant field, preferably in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Minimum 5 years of proven track record of training design and implementation preferably in the media sector
- Understanding and practical know how of adult learning techniques including coaching and mentoring
- Strong understanding of the role of communications in development
- Minimum 5 years of strong experiences in radio and TV sectors including various formats
- Experience in project management, ideally in the development field, training projects
- Experience in working with contracts, ideally within the broadcast sector
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of BBC editorial values
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in either media or development
- Strong communication skills including the ability to write well in English and Nepali
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to travel frequently to rural location at times for extended periods
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Problem Solving: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for decision making and problem-solving. Transforms proposals/ideas into practical reality.
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Self-Development: able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV and covering letter outlining your interest in the role, and demonstrating how you fulfil the essential skills and experience, by 18th May 2018, to firstname.lastname@example.org (with the job title in the subject line).