Strategic Information (SI) Specialist
The Strategic Information Specialist will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager – Global Fund programme of NCASC. With close coordination with SI Focal Person at NCASC and indirect supervision of Senior M&E Manager – Save the Children, the SI Specialist will be responsible for providing technical assistance to NCASC to carry out HIV surveillance, programmes monitoring and evaluation and research for improving informed – response to HIV epidemic in Nepal. S/he would support to leadership in the strengthening of SI unit of NCASC by providing necessary technical support to staff for HIV surveillance, monitoring and evaluation and research responsibilities for smooth functioning of the SI system/ unit..
Term and Location: Fixed term position till July 2015 with further possibility of extension based at National Centre for AIDS and STD Control (NCASC), Kathmandu
Required Qualification and Experience: Master’s degree in Public Health or Epidemiology or Statistics or Demography with minimum of 5 years of experience in disease surveillance, health sector interventions, monitoring & evaluation and research including 3 years of experience in HIV/STI surveillance, HIV programme monitoring and HIV research at national level; Proven experience of working with government in national level health programme/project and multi-/bi-lateral agencies or international organizations and experience of working in a team for bigger grants will be an asset. Understanding of the working procedures of the Government as well as of external development partners (EDPs) will be considered a huge advantage
Key Areas of Accountability
- Provide overall leadership support of strategic information and improved data demand and use including analysis of programme data and impact on the national HIV response
- Ensure all HIV surveillance activities are completed and findings are translated into action
- Provide technical support to develop, update, implement of National HIV Surveillance Plan in co-ordination with key SI partners.
- Provide technical support for strengthening of the Second Generation Surveillance components; also start developing and implanting the third generation surveillance system
- Plan and provide technical assistance to the routinely conduction of HIV epidemic analysis and modeling for improved understanding of the epidemic and suggest informed responses to planning, programming and review
- Produce Annual HIV surveillance Report and disseminat
Programme monitoring and evaluation
- Provide monitoring and reporting tools, guidance, and written analysis to inform future programme delivery, management decision making, and strategic planning
- Develop an evaluation framework and carrying out programme impact evaluation and prepare strategic documents/reports
- Facilitate the implementation of the National Monitoring and Evaluation strategy and guidelines ensuring the programme performance for informed response to HIV programme.
- Ensure that M&E plan is prepared and all M&E visits are planned in accordance with the M&E plan.
- Take lead role for ensuring functioning of the core Monitoring and Evaluation activities of the National HIV programme including Global Fund grant.
- Provide leadership support in developing Client Monitoring Information System and other technology-based innovations for effective programme monitoring
- Develop necessary system and tools to ensure data quality, update and implement.
- Provide technical support to produce quarterly and annual grant-specific reports and report to national and international agencies, including donor and partners
- Provide support to NCASC to lead research and evaluation activities by generating and providing evidence in priority areas to support improved programme implementation and advocacy at national level.
- Provide technical support to develop, update and effectively implement National HIV Research Agenda.
- Identify research gaps and design operational research protocols and provide technical support to implement through programming.
- Share the results of operational research findings to policy makers and key stakeholders for improving programme coverage, clinical effectiveness, and system support and strengthening
- Develop a system of research communication for development of health system and community system strengthening
System support and SI partnership
- Timely update national SI systems and related tools, as per the national and international requirements, primarily to ensure the configuration with WHO, UNAIDS, Global Fund requirements and standards.
- Identify National SI needs and develop national SI capacity plans and co-ordinate among SI partners for implementation of the plan.
- Explore opportunities and design Strategic Information partnership at national level. For this, work closely to key SI partners to strengthening the effective role of SI technical Working Group (SI-TWG) to ensure high quality technical inputs in strengthening of the SI system
- Provide technical support to co-ordinate and collaborate broader Health Management Information Management (HMIS) of Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) to contribute for mainstreaming of HIV information into broader HMIS.
- Work closely with SI unit for enhancing working environment with HIV EDPs, including UN agencies, multi- and bi-donors to for ensuing the timely fulfillment of reporting accountabilities and exploring possible support for system strengthening
- Provide technical support to SI unit to lead collaboration and maintain partnerships and engagements with external researchers and experts
- Support to organise national and sub-national level dissemination of HIV epidemics and response (national workshops, seminars, round table meetings, mini-conferences, etc.)
- Provide support to develop a learning culture among SI team and other staff of NCASC for evidence-informed practice.
- Produce routine epidemic analysis (data) to update epidemic profile of the country.
- Provide support to district SI team to develop district plan, update tools, implement and share the best practices
- Any other duties or assignments as requested by the Project Manager/Deputy Director/Director of NCASC.
Occasional Significant Duties
- Prepare and timely submit technical review report, annual and semi-annual
- Fulfill any additional tasks as required and requested by DCOP and COP.
- Strategize, write, and edit content for briefs, proposals, qualification packages, and project descriptions.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Thorough understanding of statistics, data management and monitoring and evaluation
- Prepared to spend time in the field with district health offices and other partners
- Understanding of financial management and budgeting of development programmes desirable
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, able to work in short deadlines with intense pressure.
- Excellent analytical and synthesis skills
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office, statistical software and database)