TEAM/PROGRAMME: Malaria, Global Fund
LOCATION: Epidemiology and Disease Control Division (EDCD), Teku, Kathmandu
CONTRACT LENGTH: Fixed term grant
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately two million populations and invests over 40 million US dollars annually to reach more children than ever before, through programs in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihood, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, Malaria, guidance of focal point of Logistics Unit at EDCD, and an indirect supervision of Senior Operations Manager, the Procurement and Supply Chain Management (PSM) Coordinator is responsible of coordination and management of procurement and supply chain functions of malaria commodities in accordance with the procurement and quality assurance policy of the Global Fund, and the financial and procurement rules and regulations of the Government of Nepal.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Implement procurement and supply chain activities as per an approved plan.
- Quantify and forecast malaria commodities and related supplies (collectively referred to as “commodities” below) on the basis of reports received from service delivery points (SDPs), program targets, and client data, and ensure that the results are included in procurement plans (national & those submitted to the Global Fund).
- Liaise with EDCD and pertinent stakeholders to ensure the supply of appropriate drugs and kits in appropriate formulations and strength.
- Put forward timely request of the commodities approved/ endorsed by required position(s), and maintain a tracking of the procurement [in terms of quantities and budget] for review and reporting.
- Manage and ensure that the commodities are stored according to proper storage guidelines, and maintain quality, safety and security of stock.
- Prepare and execute a transportation plan for proper and timely distribution of the commodities.
- Ensure that physical inventory/ cycle counts are taking place at specified times.
- Ensure that a stock book for all issues and receipts of the commodities are updated regularly on time.
- Support logistics unit at EDCD, such that a stock database and/ or commodity tracking database using prescribed software are maintained properly.
- Ensure the use of standard documentation and timely reporting of program inventories.
- Ensure the availability of forms and reports to be used in the LMIS at all levels.
- Maintain logistics files (containing PRs, POs, GRNs, Dakhila, etc.), assuring that all required documentation/ approvals are in the files.
- Carryout regular review of pipeline of the commodities (months of stock, shelf lives) as a part of an early warning system, and recommend necessary corrective and preventive actions to prevent stock outs and wastages.
- Monitor SDPs on logistics issues related to the commodities and provide feedback as necessary.
- Report on any suspected irrational use of drugs based on reports or visits.
- Facilitate in the logistics management training for SDPs.
- Manage proper disposal procedures and documentation of expired/unusable commodities.
- Undertake any other assignments as requested by supervisor.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Master of Pharmacy or Public Health (M.Pharm or MPH) or Master’s degree in other related Health Science; Master of Business Administration (MBA) with Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) is preferred
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 3 years of experience in procurement and supply chain management of malaria or health commodities
- Knowledge of Global Fund procurement and quality assurance policies
- Excellent forecasting skills
- Project management skills
- Numeracy, and analytical ability
- Well organized in work and documentation
- Attention to details
- Ability to work with others, and with cross functional teams
- Action oriented individual with good planning and problem solving skills
- System thinking
- Ability to work with a minimum supervision and under a high pressure.
- Excellent oral and written (both Nepali & English) communication skills
- IT skills, particularly data management and spreadsheet