Number of Position: 1
Location: Surkhet, Karnali Province, Nepal
Supervisor: Provincial Team Lead
Reporting to the Provincial Team Lead, the Health Systems Strengthening Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that the health systems strengthening and governance activities are planned, implemented and well coordinated with province, district and municipal priorities. S/he will work closely with the Kathmandu-based Governance and Health Systems Specialist is carrying out these responsibilities. The position is base in Surkhet, provincial capital of Karnali Province. Specific tasks include:
- Provide direction, leadership, and on-going assessment of the project’s health systems component, including activities to support province, district and municipal level policymakers on policy and programming, strategic planning, resource allocation, legislation and regulation and human resources planning and management.
- Support provincial health counterparts in both Karnali Province and Province 5 to plan and manage functioning health systems – with emphasis on policy development and implementation, strategic planning, approaches to equity in health service delivery and development of health human resources.
- In collaboration with the project’s provincial leadership and other technical specialists, support district-based multi-disciplinary teams to implement technical assistance for planning, management and governance of health service delivery in municipalities and facilities.
- Provide technical mentoring and facilitation support to the multi-disciplinary teams and ensure that all the planned activities related to the health system are implemented in effective and efficiently.
- Participate in and facilitate provincial, district and municipal level annual reviews and project planning
- Participate in and contribute to internal health system related strategy development and annual planning meeting.
- Ensure that health systems related interventions are well coordinated with other project components, including evidence generation and use and clinical service delivery.
- Responsible for the ensuring the achievement of expected outcomes and quality review/assurance in the area of health systems strengthening and governance.
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of all required technical reporting and deliverables for the health systems strengthening component of the project.
- Analyze the strengths and areas of improvement of the systems to address issues of women, poor and the excluded and enhance GESI integration.
- Master’s Degree (minimum), in Public Health, Health Administration/Management, Health Economics or other relevant field.
- More than six years of relevant professional experience, focused on health systems strengthening; demonstrated knowledge of Nepal’s health system and federal structures.
- Experience in project implementation and health systems strengthening in Nepal.
- Prior experience with USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Excellent writing, computer use, management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, initiative, and good judgment.
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy.
- Willingness to work in Karnali Province and Province 5, with at least 50% field visit in hill and mountain municipalities.
SSBH is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and culture. Individuals from minority groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection process. Canvassing at any stage of the processes shall lead to automatic disqualification.