TEAM/PROGRAMME: Health & Nutrition, Program Operation
CONTRACT LENGTH: March 2017
CHILD SAFEGUARDING- Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The District Health Officer is the focal person to oversee day to day implementation of Health and Nutrition activities in the district. The main purpose of the post is to ensure high quality standards in the delivery of the health programs including nutrition, reproductive health, training/capacity building of health staff from the program, District (Public) Health Office and other partners.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Programme planning and implementation
- Oversee project implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities in the District
- Identify program needs and coordinate with the H&N coordinators and logistic team to put in place a sensible plan.
- With support from the MEAL team, keep track of the MEAL plan for the projects, ensuring this links to reporting requirements
- Support H&N coordinators in Field Office/District office to develop field plan, detail implementation plan and supervision plan
- Ensure entry of quality data in output tracker and other data management tools in CO
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Ensure frequent supportive supervision in community and health facilities for quality implementation of H&N projects
- Supervise and coach partner staff for quality implementation
- Report Coordinator on a timely basis on the status of programs, concerns and needs.
- To perform other responsibilities as agreed with your line management.
- Other duties as assigned by line manager
Advocacy & Organizational Learning:
- Ensure that Save the Children's Nutrition work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and support Interagency Coordination forums, advocating for the specific needs of children. This may involve attending coordination working groups or leading such groups at sub national level.
- With support from the Lead Nutrition Adviser and/or other senior programme staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers in-country.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in any health related discipline preferably in Public Health
- 3 years* of experience in managing reproductive health at district level (2 years for GSI group*)
- Previous experience of working in role with MoH or NGO in a humanitarian emergency context
- Ability to provide leadership in developing/improving programmes in resource poor settings
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Strong organizational and managerial skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to develop this skill in others
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work in multi-cultural environment
- Able to establish good working relationships and positively contribute to a team
- Ability to effectively manage relationships between different partners and stakeholders
- Flexible, positive and proactive approach to work
- Able to work in a stressful and changing environment with limited resources
- Willingness to stay at different base and field locations depending on the needs of the programme
- Experience of working in DRR, mainstreaming DRR perspective in health activities implementation will be assets.
- Willing to keep abreast of new developments through continued learning
- Good information seeking skills and proactive approach
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Diverse National expérience