Type of Contract: Fixed Term
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 2 – a CRB check (Standard level)
or equivalent overseas police check will be required for this position. The
responsibilities of the post may require less contact with or access to
children or young people
ROLE PURPOSE: This position is responsible for the overall
financial and operational management of the FFP/USAID funded, SABAL –
Sustainable Action for Resilience and Food Security, valued at $ 33 M over 5
years. S/he is responsible for ensuring that USAID requirements for budget
planning, monitoring, and reporting are fully met in a timely manner, and the
establishment and management of operational and administrative systems. This
requires close liaison with the finance and technical planning departments of
all partners and program staff, Save the Children, and USAID. S/he will report
directly to and advise the COP concerning relevant issues within or external to
the project, including financial, personnel, administrative, and security. In
addition to necessary finance and administrative skills, this position requires
someone with initiative, who is well organized, can handle pressure and
deadlines, work in complex and conflictaffected areas, is capable of training
and supervising staff, and has strong computer skills.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Provide leadership and support for all financial management areas including, accounting, Payments, reporting systems and procedures for SCI Sabal programs.
- Directs and manages the SCI Sabal program in accordance with the approved annual budget and monitors all country offices operations and program expenditures on an ongoing basis.
- Oversees the timely completion and accuracy of monthly financial reports prepared for submission to USAID and SCI.
- Responsible for the maintenance of adequate financial resources in country offices to support monthly program operations and subproject reimbursements.
- Ensures all activities related to financial management are carried out in conformance with policies and procedures established by SCI and USAID.
- Coordinates with related staff at SC US DC to ensure that project budgets, and accounting and fiscal control procedures are implemented effectively.
- Oversees the pre-award audit of new implementation agencies and guides the subproject budget development with Sabal program staff.
- Oversees the monitoring and review of subproject financial reports to ensure compliance with subproject budgets and SCI policies.
- Directs the provision of formal and informal technical assistance to implementing partners and SCI Sabal staffs on issues of financial management of SCI and USAID policies and procedures.
- Carries out/coordinate internal auditing or inspections of books of accounts for SCI Sabal implementing agencies. Supervise the Sr. Finance & Grants Manager and HR. Admin Manager.
- Participates in Senior Management Team meetings
- Participates and contributes to the overall mission of SCI Sabal.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving results together with children and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieve.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for self and team, takes responsibility for own personal development and encourages team to do the same
- Widely shares personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with own team, colleagues, members, donors and partners.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Always acts in the best interests of children
- Master’s degree in accounting from a recognized institution or other related field.
- Minimum 10 years (7 years for GSI group) of financial management experience with at least 5 years in a senior management position and experience supporting USAID projects; understanding of USG rules and regulations
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience in financial monitoring, budget systems, and controls; strong analytical skills
- Proven ability to prepare budgets and donor financial reports
- Demonstrated capacity and prior experience in supervising others as a coach/mentor to train staff and develop financial skills of colleagues
- Knowledge and experience using various financial packages including SUN systems
- Demonstrated capacity and prior experience in managing the personnel, administrative and Logistical functions of programs and projects
- Complete fluency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and internet use
- Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context of Nepal and prior work experience in South Asia required, experience in Nepal is preferred
- Strong English oral and written communication skills; local language skills preferred
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and time-management skills; experience working in a working in a dynamic team setting in a challenging environment and willingness to travel extensively